Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Refolding fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/refolding-fabric-t300718.html)

bunbytes 11-06-2018 05:33 AM

:D OMG! If I had to refold my fabric it would take me a year to do it. I have over 2500 comic book boards with fabric wrapped around them. I feel virtuous when I get the fabric on the boards once! And yes, to answer the unasked question, of course I continue to buy more fabric. It's a disease. Tomorrow I hit the International Quilt Festival. Whoo Hoo!

sewbizgirl 11-06-2018 06:38 AM

It makes sense to do this, but I'd never do it on purpose. I ruler fold and stack my bigger pieces. As I use some of that fabric, it becomes small enough to fold around a comic book board. As that continues to be used, I may end up with just a big scrap piece that I fold into a large scraps pile. As those are used, the remains go into a small scraps bin. This is the life cycle of fabric in my sewing areas, during which some refolding happens organically.

sewbizgirl 11-06-2018 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes (Post 8156415)
Tomorrow I hit the International Quilt Festival. Whoo Hoo!

bunbytes, SO JEALOUS!

SillySusan 11-06-2018 01:52 PM

Refold? It's lucky it gets folded the first time. It just goes into the nearest bin, box, shelf or stack. Oh my, what a gigantic mess! I've been very faithful (until last week when I bought a very nice king size flat sheet for 50 cents at a thrift shop) and have sewed dozens and dozens of baby and kids' quilts all from stash... and I'm still in a disorganized mess! Refold is the least of my problems!!! But, I'm having fun! :)

cashs_mom 11-06-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bunbytes (Post 8156415)
:D OMG! If I had to refold my fabric it would take me a year to do it. I have over 2500 comic book boards with fabric wrapped around them. I feel virtuous when I get the fabric on the boards once! And yes, to answer the unasked question, of course I continue to buy more fabric. It's a disease. Tomorrow I hit the International Quilt Festival. Whoo Hoo!

I"m going to be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I can hardly wait!

"cat"astrophy 11-07-2018 04:43 AM

I stop at JoAnn Fabric and pick up their empty boards from their fabric. They are happy to give them away as they just dispose of them. For half yard cuts and fat quarters, I cut the boards down, stuff them with scraps of batting and wrap the fabric around the small, small boards as I would the full boards. Works like a charm.

Battle Axe 11-07-2018 06:55 AM

Take plenty of pictures at the show for us shut-ins.

maviskw 11-07-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8155984)
I don't fold yardage, I hang it over hangers in the closet. Less than a yard is folded and stored in boxes on shelves. I don't go thru it and refold it but most of the boxes and rummaged a few times a year and things do get refolded.

A very good idea! But what kind of hangers do you use. Plastic would be good and would not leave much of a fold mark, but metal hangers might rust and leave fold lines.

Queenbarbiej 11-07-2018 01:25 PM

I use metal hangers. But I went to the hardware store and bought pipe insulation tubes that have a slice in them cut them to length. A 4 pack cost a bought 2 dollars there was enough to do 12 hangers.

Mariposa 11-08-2018 07:51 AM

I don't fold mine on any boards or such. My stash is mostly in bins and boxes, since not enough room in my sewing studio.