Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Reorganizing Scraps!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/reorganizing-scraps-t205325.html)

ube quilting 11-09-2012 02:32 PM

The only way I organize scraps is into quilts!:D No time to organize them any other way!
peace

Grandma58 11-10-2012 07:10 PM

Just start sewing them and see what happens, it will take less time then organizing! If you come across something you want to use for a 'project' set it aside.

quiltingdragon 11-17-2012 07:25 PM

I too am a bonnie hunter scrap user system person. I used to pay my godson a quarter per pile of scraps I gave him- big, medium and little scraps.

coffeebreak 11-18-2012 05:09 PM

I am working on it...I was the other way around...I had a sewing room and had to "vacate" when my daughter and grand daughter moved in...now it is all in my bedroom. Thankfully, I have 2 BIG closets in my room so I converted one to my fabric closet as I wasn't using it anyway...but I have a small sresser in there and shelf unit on top, but still just not enough storage space...I have to work on it, but am limited as my husband won't allow me to do anything to it like build shelves in it.

But I'dlike to ask....I can organize the scraps, but how do you figure out what you are going to use and make with them? I know you can just lay the squares out by color or print etc...but still...so many little scraps ....how do you all start the "picking" for a scrap quilt?

cherrio 11-18-2012 07:07 PM

on Bonnie Hunters site she swears that when she is doing a scrappy,scrappy 16 patch for instance, she puts the like sizes in a bin and picks randomly. then I would -make my blocks that way and add a consistent color sashing. maybe black. hope that helps you take the plunge and use those scraps.

Rose Marie 11-27-2012 07:43 AM

Mine are all in a plastic bin until I find time to make HST with them. Someday will make a HST quilt with them.
Have made lots of 3 1/2 in ones so far.
Have made one quilt using a pattern from Sewing with Nancy that uses all sizes of strips. It is called Scrap Happy Patchwork.

churcae 11-27-2012 11:56 AM

I have to agree - I just don't have time to sort but I just made a lovely log cabin quilt from my large LLBean bag of scraps. I used a color wheel and put appropriate colors together without too much attention and it came out wonderfully!!!

Country1 11-28-2012 11:09 AM

I store mine in bins also. Strips and squares. It works for me.

staceylynn13 12-04-2012 06:09 PM

I store mine in three baskets, sorted by lights, mediums and darks, not by actual color. When my baskets get full, I make a crazy quilt by pulling random pieces from the baskets. Works great and keeps my scraps from overtaking my sewing room!

Treasureit 12-04-2012 06:28 PM

Instead of of organizing..make a scrappy quilt.