Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Scrap Organization: Afraid I will cut and then regret! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/scrap-organization-afraid-i-will-cut-then-regret-t281183.html)

Geri B 08-10-2016 03:34 AM

I leave "scraps" as they are, but separate in strip type vs. chunks. I can make crumb blocks out of chunks, string blocks out if strips, or both to make whatever then cut out what I want from that....if I do decide to do say 2 1/2" scrappy, then out comes the GO/die and dig into all to get a stack before going into fq or stash

redstilettos 08-10-2016 03:50 AM

These are all good ideas, actually.

Am I the only one who secretly is thinking I should cut all these into shapes and then if I don't have what I want I get to go shopping for more?

I am so so working against myself here.
LOL

mike'sgirl 08-10-2016 09:02 AM

I only cut my scraps into smaller pieces. I also do what Geri B does, get out my Go! and cut whatever shape I can get out of them. I leave anything fat quarter or larger alone. I have bins for certain sizes: 2 1/2, 3, 5 inches and so on.

Snooze2978 08-10-2016 09:30 AM

I rarely cut my scraps into manageable sizes, rather I measure the small section of the piece and throw it into the bin for that particular size. Then when I start a new project using scraps I know I can pull out that bin and find numerous scraps that will fit. Right now I"m working on making scrappy sashings and borders for 4 embroidered blocks I found in a plastic tote from back in 2004. Took out my bin for 2.0 and 1.5 to search thru for solid black scraps to surround each block. I hate to chop up a perfectly good scrap till I need it.

zozee 08-10-2016 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos (Post 7623655)
These are all good ideas, actually.

Am I the only one who secretly is thinking I should cut all these into shapes and then if I don't have what I want I get to go shopping for more?

I am so so working against myself here.
LOL

Nope, I was on the exact same wavelength! After all, lilac in 2.5" is SO much different from periwinkle in 3" when you gotta have it:) .

zozee 08-10-2016 09:41 AM

It's so much that I've regretted cutting down to smaller sizes, but rather been ecstatic (or relieved, depending on the desperation) to find a piece that's large enough, even by 1/2" .

I find that sorting by color into clear, lidded shoeboxes help keep the smalls (FQ and smaller) contained but separate from bigger pieces/yardage.

That said, once I'm completely tired of a fabric and have used it six ways to Sunday, I don't care WHAT size it is, it's OUTTA here!

lots2do 08-10-2016 10:59 AM

And then you could always stuff dog beds with your scraps.

bearisgray 08-10-2016 11:27 AM

I have had pieces that would have been usable for my project if I had left them "as is" instead of cutting them up.

Pagzz 08-10-2016 11:58 AM

I need major sorting and organization but I have had some success in cutting up scraps as they accumulate. I still have a large bin to go through. I cut for 3 projects. I cut some 2 inch strips for my ongoing leader and ender nine patches, 2.5 inch by 16 inch strips for another scrappy trip around the world (Bonnie Hunter), and strings for a string quilt. So, if in the course of sewing and cutting on my other projects I have some scraps that work for those three things I cut them and put them with their project, otherwise I put the chunk back with the same color fabrics and move on.

annette1952 08-10-2016 12:28 PM

Mine are only sorted in bins by color. I haven't yet got anymore organized than that. I keep thinking I will make some scrap quilts but seems like something else is always coming up that I want to do. Maybe this winter I'll get them out & decide on a pattern & use them up. Or at least some of them. It will be fun once I get going on it.