Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Scraps, ugh!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/scraps-ugh-t305265.html)

Beachbaby12 06-18-2019 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK (Post 8266348)
I can second Bonnie Hunter., Quiltville for her specialized scrap system. She makes sense out of scraps.
Kirstne

I agree - Bonnie Hunter has a good system, which I am trying to do myself.

SusieQOH 06-20-2019 04:47 AM

I'm not a scrap saver. They do nothing but frustrate me. I donate them.
I may have a few from my most recent project but that's it.

annievee 06-20-2019 01:18 PM

I donate my scraps also, knowing I will never use them.

rryder 06-20-2019 01:41 PM

I sort my scraps by color. I have some that I cut into sizes that I use frequently and others that are uncut. I was using Joan Ford's system, cutting everything smaller than a 10" square into those sizes and then storing the rest separately, but I recently revamped that and everything smaller than a fat quarter is stored by color in shallow drawer units. I fit several stacks of 2" squares, 3.5" squares, 5" squares and then lay larger scraps on top in each drawer. I also keep the following:1. some smaller pieces to use in crumb blocks- those go in a shoebox and get used when I want to do some mindless sewing or if the shoebox gets too full. 2. tiny pieces and strings that are too narrow even for string quilts- get thrown in a drawer and used for thready/scrappy scarves (sandwich the little pieces between two pieces of water-soluble stabilizer and then FMQ until everything is well secured. 3. selvages- been meaning to make a selvage project, but so far I've only used these as ties for the ends of the storage bags I make for my quilts.

Rob

elly66 06-20-2019 02:54 PM

Currently working on my third scrap quilt this year. I slowly started using my scraps only in the past few years. I struggled to do scrappy quilts as I felt overwhelmed. Reminding myself to only worry about what fabrics are next to each other have been very freeing for me.

In fact I really have been enjoying them. Each quilt is a personal story. I remember where the scraps had come from - successes and failures. It's like a road map of my quilts.

Since I haven't been using my scraps until recently, I am still in the process of finding a system I like. Currently I have clear plastic containers of crumbs, string fabric, strip fabrics 1 1/2" to 3" and a box of larger pieces. Anything about the size of fat quarter goes in containers for that and I have a container for less than a yard to over a FQ size. It seems to work for me for now.

jmoore 06-22-2019 02:40 AM

Welcome to the QB. You’ve certainly come to the right place for suggestions, ideas and experienced quilters.

I have a relatively small stash so I currently have 4 small bins...1. Crumbs 2. Strings 3. Larger scraps (smaller than a FQ fat quarter) and 4. Batiks

craftiladi 06-26-2019 06:56 AM

Hello , long time member who hasn't posted in a very long time-but I realized along time ago I am not a scrap quilter, I do have smaller pieces that are less then a fat quarter but every thing else gets donated to someone who can use them. It took me a while to figure what type of quilts I tend to lean towards but once I did it was freeing to purge and donate, plus that made room to buy more fabric lol

Annaquilts 06-26-2019 09:52 AM

They are sorted into plastic see through bins either by color or style. When I need them I pull out the ones I think I will use and I iron and cut them. I do not want to spend my time ironing and cutting into scraps I might never use or feel like using.

quiltmouse 06-28-2019 03:07 PM

I made Scrapy flimsies:

2017:
jacob's ladder
chisel stripe
wonky log cabin
6" crumb quilt

2018:

Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Chain, 120 blocks, 122 different fabrics
12" crumb (made fabric) quilt
Birch Branches (Use up pinks/yellows/& a navy)
Plus quilt

Kelsie 07-02-2019 07:37 PM

Welcome to the Board, Cyclista87
I've enjoyed reading about everyone's systems. I am just finishing my second crumb quilt. One group of ladies that I quilt with in Arizona saved me their scraps for 6 months til I returned. Now that I have made a throw with those scraps I have sorted the leftovers and saved some that are colours I like or think I need for another project. The rest are being passed on to a family of 3 that all quilt/sew (Mother, boy, girl). I sort mine by colour or by pending project. I am gathering fabric for several patterns. I like to use the zippered bags that originally contained bedding and linens. I iron once (hopefully). While sewing, I usually line up my fabrics on a large bakers sheets (18" x 26"). Even tho they are in bags, my scraps are all neatly laid flat and the bags all laying flat in the cupboard. I don't precut as then I wouldn't be able to make scrap quilts - I think they are fun, and more of a challenge to get that inside corner filled.