Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/seriously-trash-can-scraps-t236966.html)

Sophie2 12-19-2013 05:09 AM

I have a mesh laundry cube that keep under my cutting table that I toss any scrap that I don't want. When it is full I give the scraps to a friend that makes scrap quilts. She has turned out some very nice quilts from my scraps.

quiltmom04 12-19-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6462937)
Scraps...they just multiply like cockroaches! I really don't want to throw them away and I do plan to use up many of them this next year by making scrappy quilts. However, that little pile of scraps from only a few months ago has grown considerably. They're invading my sewing space!!! I'm thinking of getting a cute, enameled, metal trash can to stash them in. If I give up on them, then they're all ready to go out to the trash.

~ Cindy

I have a decorative lidded basket that I keep mine in. Not just for scrap quilts, but I often use this source for small appliqué pieces, too.

kellen46 12-19-2013 06:27 AM

I have been using a standard size plastic trash can for scraps for many years. I put it near the cutting table to scoop scraps into it. I have made many many scrap quilts out of that can. I have stuffed pet beds, I have sorted and tossed but have never gotten to the bottom of that can. Yes I do believe they are breeding in there. because I always seem o have the same scraps only smaller and getting smaller all the time. I cut a bunch into five and 2 1/2 " squares but nothing really makes a dent and then I have to store those cut squares...does it ever end, will I ever get that stash used up.....who knows.

mighty 12-19-2013 06:29 AM

Very clever ideas!

TacoMama 12-19-2013 06:38 AM

Wow! I am not organized like you are, luvTooQuilt! I put mine in plastic bags.......

Judi 12-19-2013 06:41 AM

Left over fabric scrapes

I cut all my "scraps" into squares (mine are 3 inch) and put into plastic box sorted by color. I can make a quilt quickly if I need one in a hurry. This only takes a few minutes if I cut scrapes as I go, and scrapes are neat to store and don't need to be ironed.

homecaregiver 12-19-2013 06:43 AM

luvTooquilt I really like your idea and they look so neat sitting next to each other. What size are they anyway.
Pat

nana2 12-19-2013 06:46 AM

Now this is GOOD idea!!!!!!! I buy oatmeal in large round boxes. I have been saving those for a long time. We paint them up and use for various things. In addition to decoupage for the waste basket, the grand kids could decorate these boxes with scraps. Then use them for their crayons, etc.

Annaquilts 12-19-2013 06:54 AM

I like this idea. I am already processing a lot of larger pieces I do not use and give them to friends. I like scraps myself but my friends do not. From the scraps that are too small I am filling a child size bean bag for my twins. I found the bag at Bath and Beyond store. After that is full I will make some floor pillows. I store my scraps by color in see through plastic bins that stack.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6463663)
I keep a couple flat rate postal boxes and a basket under my cutting table- when I cut fabrics I toss the scraps I think I will put to use into the basket- the ones I do not believe I will use, don't want to keep I toss into a postal box. when the box is full I tape it up & check my list of people (many here on the board) who collect/request scraps & I send it off. when my basket is full I take an hour or so of (down time/tv time) and sort through them- organize them. put them away- or decide to pass them on- I can not imagine any of my scraps going to a landfill! there are so many people/organizations who put them to great use when I have no use for them.

Stitchit123 12-19-2013 07:09 AM

I'd be afraid to put them in a trash can or bag -some one could mistake them for trash. I have learned this the hard way... So now they are in a large tote (big enough for me to get in) and I labeled it Quilt's in Progress - keeps them all together and safe.