Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Sewing room carpet floor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/sewing-room-carpet-floor-t206066.html)

beckyj 12-05-2016 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 (Post 5660552)
A friend of mine used a piece of plywood with carpet squares on the top. She could roll around on it without any effort and didn't damage the carpet with the rollers.

Paint the plywood in a favorite quilt pattern. My floor is white with dk green. Easy to wash and see pins. Holding up great.

romanojg 12-05-2016 08:46 AM

I have the carpet and even a throw rug on my other room, I like having chairs with rollers but only because its easier getting out from the sewing table. I get up and go to the ironing board, etc when I need anything. For one thing it gives me a chance to stretch my muscles. I'll take carpet any day, so much easier to vacuum and warmer on my feet as well.

saperry 12-07-2016 08:21 PM

I'm sure the old body would appreciate getting up and moving around but..... I vote for plywood :D:D:D

Claire123 02-11-2017 10:47 AM

Office supply stores sell a piece of plastic to go under your chair. My husband had one for his office and I have been thinking of getting one.

beckyj 08-12-2017 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Country1 (Post 5659181)
I have laminate flooring in both our hobby rooms. I wouldn't have carpet, one main reason is I'm a diabetic and am afraid of a pin falling in the carpet and stepping on it. Sorry I can't help! Your room looks real nice!
Penny

To help find pins in carpet, use glow in the dark pins.

tranum 08-12-2017 12:28 PM

I get up, I need the movement to use other muscles. I can knit, but I don't, I find I sit too much then. Food for thought: sitting rates high as bad for your health.

Bonjelak 08-13-2017 06:59 PM

You can buy plastic hall runner. Any length. Cut and place as you like.

Claire123 10-03-2017 09:40 PM

My husband has one of those for his office. I don't have one for my sewing room partly the expense & trouble and partly because I am always dropping things - pins, threads etc. I just have to get up.

romanojg 10-08-2017 05:20 AM

I have carpet in mine and love it. I have one roller mat at my desk, just to scoot out and away, then I get up and go to what ever I need. My room is really small so it would be easy to just roll to everything but its my way of getting up so that I'm not sitting too long.

themadpatter 10-20-2017 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5660053)
I also have carpet & use the plastic mat with the pokeys.... it's okay.... not great.... BUT.... I'm not willing to pull the carpet out as this room is "on paper" a 3rd bedroom should we ever decide to sell. Today I must have tripped over the edge of that plastic at least 3 times..... but I still think it's worth keeping the carpet for the warmth & for the resell value.

I always wear shoes in the house, and I'm sure its because my mom sewed, too. My son refused, and we had more than one problem with him finding a pin with his foot. As we say around here, "Gravity is not your friend." My ex is a carpeting contractor, and you could take the carpet out of that room, roll it up, and save it in the garage until you sell the house, and replace it. It will look newer than the other carpet, and you would have to be careful of the tack strips, which I doubt you would want to remove and replace. You can get a contractor (or maybe hubby) to put a transition strip in the doorway- that's the name for those little metal strips they put between carpet and another surface. When you replace it, you'll need a contractor to do it, because you'll need a seam in the doorway, and they will need to stretch it onto the tack strips so it looks nice and tight. The tape they use for seaming as about 4" wide and has hot glue stripes. They use a special tool called a seaming iron that slides along the seam and melts the glue. Moving at the right speed is crucial, as is using a tool box to weight it down behind the iron as you go along. This thread started 5 years ago- have you moved yet?