Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Share your best organizing tip! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/share-your-best-organizing-tip-t297316.html)

lots2do 06-09-2018 04:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, wisdom and funny comments too!

SouthPStitches 06-09-2018 08:28 AM

Jump in with both feet. Organize and purge. Dust and clean. Then close the door of the sewing room and never go back in again. That's the only way I can keep neat and organized - just don't accomplish anything! If I'm not armpit deep in fabrics and notions, I'm not feeling the creativity. Seriously though, I try to put away my tools and scraps to some degree, before I turn off the sewing machine light for the day.

lots2do 06-12-2018 04:00 AM

Ha! Isn't that true?

CindyA 06-13-2018 03:53 AM

I'm almost finished with complete overhaul of my space. The things I've done that I love (I had help from someone who had great ideas):
1. I hung two pegboards. One for all my rulers, one for other tools (rotary cutter, scissors, little baskets to put things in). All of this was available at hardware store and it's inexpensive and easy to install.

2. My husband hung long rows of shelves. The kind with the metal bars (they're called standards) hung on the wall. Then you place the brackets at the heights where you want your shelves. Then simply put the shelves on the brackets. Relatively easy to install and it has given me TONS of storage for my fabric. Then I folded my fabric all the same width so it's stacked neatly on the shelves.

3. I bought some fabric boxes on-line to put current projects in. Some projects needed two boxes. Then I hung little tags on each box so I know which box has which project without pulling each box down. The boxes with lids were too expensive so I folded poster board and made my own lids, covering them with contact paper. It's cute, was inexpensive and my project shelves look neat and tidy.

Darcyshannon 06-13-2018 11:55 PM

I like keeping all the little things on one tray

quilting cat 06-14-2018 12:17 PM

I try to keep quilt and project patterns sorted by season, size, or subject. If I want to make something for the Christmas Boutique, I don't have to search through baby quilts!

heron 09-01-2018 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm coming at this string a few months late. Today I did a "tidy up, so organizing is on my mind. Fifteen years or so ago, I invested in a rolling toolbox, the kind guys use in the garage, and which you purchase a big box hardware stores. Best thing I ever did.

My husband added a vertical pole (see the wooden stick) that has hooks for my rulers, and at the top (you can't see it in the photo) is mounted a perpendicular rod that holds hangers. The kind you can get in the laundry section of home stores. He also added a channel on the bottom of the back panel of the cart for holding my cutting mats, which are secured to the back with rare earth magnets to keep them from warping. And this cart is easily movable if you need to move it.

It was an idea that has stood the test of time. Thought I'd share.

JanieH 09-01-2018 04:38 PM

Love your cart but I am curious about the large white "thing" hanging on the pole with your rulers. May I ask, "What is it and how is it used?" Thank you.

amyjo 09-01-2018 09:20 PM

I had a tool box bigger than that one. I had to get rid of it as I couldn’t use it in my house. Gave it to my son in law

lots2do 09-03-2018 06:09 AM

Love your red tool chest. Looks like you have your organizing all squared away. I like the painting, too, on your wall.