Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Smaller than a FQ - storage ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/smaller-than-fq-storage-ideas-t293946.html)

redstilettos 01-09-2018 10:48 AM

Smaller than a FQ - storage ideas?

I went through some of my growing stash and folded the items that were FQ's and placed those on my CD rack. Looks great!

The smaller, odd shapes I cut into 2.5" strips, squares, tumblers, strings etc.

But.....

What do you do with your fabric that is smaller than a FQ, but too big to really cut it into tiny squares or strips?

How do you fold and store?
Help....I have a lot that fits into that category!!
Thanks!

Tartan 01-09-2018 11:56 AM

Ha ha, fold and store? I throw mine in a fold out laundry bin.:D

ragamuffin 01-09-2018 02:05 PM

I fold them like FQ and put them in plastic see thru drawers. I am never sure when I may take a class that takes a lot of little pieces. Who knows.

Rhonda K 01-09-2018 03:14 PM

I store smaller pieces in a scrapbook bin sorted in colors. Batiks in one and other colors into another. They are fairly neat as I starch and iron them first. But they have grown into 3 bins of scraps that I need to cut.

Jane Quilter 01-09-2018 03:23 PM

I starch them and put them flat into a bin marked "large pieces". This is where I draw from to cut and swap 2 1/2 squares for the Birthday Swap or DJmats quarterly charm swaps (or your 5" color swaps in case one Fat qtr is a little short and I have to find a few 5" squares) I also pull from them for appliques or small blocks.

oksewglad 01-09-2018 03:47 PM

I have mine sorted by color in plastic shoe boxes. Like you I get a lot of leftover pieces from friends and have found that this is the best way to store them...when I need a strip of a certain color I know where to go. I also have size sorted bins for common cuts, i.e., 1, 1 1/2, 2, etc.

Kris P 01-09-2018 03:56 PM

I consider these scraps, and have clear shoebox bins to sort them by color. Whenever I need a small amount of fabric, this is where I look first. I make a lot of scrappy and controlled scrappy quilts, so I like them sorted by color.

redstilettos 01-09-2018 04:23 PM

Tartan, LOL....well I try. Don't always succeed, but I do try ;)

Jane, that is a great idea with the label of "larger pieces".

I'm liking the idea of clear boxes to store by color. I have a feeling I need a Lot of boxes!

I think that is going to be my challenge this weekend, if I can talk my daughter into helping me.

I love the feeling of getting everything in its place. Makes me want to tear into those boxes and start planning something fun!

rryder 01-09-2018 06:06 PM

I have one of those 3 drawer plastic units that Target sells for cheap for storing my fabrics that have been cut into. One drawer is for “smaller than a yard” pieces and the other drawers are for “smaller than a fat quarter but too big to cut” drawer. I wrap them around cut dwn comic book boards and put them in the drawer in rows arranged by color- wrappng them around the comic board allows me to stand them up so I can open the drawer and see at a glance what I’ve got. For my purposes I consider anything over 10” square too big to cut.

Rob

oksewglad 01-09-2018 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos (Post 7980055)
Tartan, LOL....well I try. Don't always succeed, but I do try ;)

Jane, that is a great idea with the label of "larger pieces".

I'm liking the idea of clear boxes to store by color. I have a feeling I need a Lot of boxes!

I think that is going to be my challenge this weekend, if I can talk my daughter into helping me.

I love the feeling of getting everything in its place. Makes me want to tear into those boxes and start planning something fun!

If you haven't gotten the clear boxes yet, how about making fabric boxes from the scraps...green box for green scraps...red for red scraps...you get the picture, plus you use up the scraps. You can measure your shelves to get a custom fit. I've had the clear boxes, but would consider making boxes as a couple of the plastic ones have cracks in them.