Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Spent most of the day sorting/ cleaning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/spent-most-day-sorting-cleaning-t317167.html)

ckcowl 12-27-2021 04:33 PM

Spent most of the day sorting/ cleaning

I worked Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Had today off then back to work again Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday so, I decided to clean out my desk ( which is where my sewing machine lives). One drawer under the machine, then a stack of 3 drawers on the side which over time have collected lots of stuff. I completely emptied all 4 drawers, tossed a lot of miscellaneous papers & junk that really had no reason to even be in the sewing room. Cleaned each drawer, rearranged and organized and as I was doing that many things either belonged in or had things that went with other things in the sewing cabinet- I have a sewing cabinet with three drawers ( and a 65 year old singer in it) so that got all cleaned out and organized too. When I had both of them all done I still had an hour before I needed to start dinner so I also attacked one shelf of one of the book shelves. I have 3 7 foot book cases in there ( one shelf at a time) I put a lot of patterns into a box to donate somewhere and a stack of books - most of which are new- to maybe offer for sale somewhere. I noticed some of those books I’ve had for 18+ years and have never made a single thing from them or even done more than thumbed through them a couple times. I pick them up & think- this is kind of cool- but then I have to tell myself- it’s just taking up space I’m never going to make any of the patterns in this book & someone else might actually like to make some of these quilts.
anyway— I managed to get a lot done today. ( my hubby says that room has been in chaos since the day we moved in. ) I keep making strides in getting it decluttered and organized- I know I’m making progress even if he can’t see it.
i felt like I was Spring Cleaning in December today.

Tartan 12-27-2021 04:54 PM

Good for you!

RedGarnet222 12-27-2021 05:40 PM

I also have been trying to re-organize my sewing spaces and storage. I have been working on the spare bedroom closet last. I honestly have a problem getting rid of sewing/quilting anything. Whether it is patterns, kits or fabric. I have donated small boxes of things, but, I need to be more aggressive. I don't know how. Anyone have any ideas on how to put myself in a better frame of mind to give? I could never use all of this.
I had grandiose dreams of starting the new year with a fresh start.

petthefabric 12-28-2021 07:02 AM

RedGarnet222; for me, I asked my sister and daughter to help, neither sew and has no emotional connection. Each spent 3 days. Seriously supportive people. Since then I've been able to continue the process.

CKcowl; congratulations! You deserve a big reward. Non-sewing related: glass of wine, pedicure/manacure, new book......

juliasb 12-28-2021 07:34 AM

Great accomplishment! Someday I will tackle this room and declutter there are so many things that are not being used anymore. Congratulations.

IrishNY 12-28-2021 08:00 AM

RedGarnet, I find I have to be in the right mindset. I don't like clutter and always have a Goodwill box going as I pick something up and think "do I really need this?". But to do the deeper, more aggressive weeding out, I find I am best to wait until a day that I am feeling more need to get rid of stuff than to hold on to things that I probably won't use but am not quite ready to concede it. If I start and know I am not being ruthless enough, I just stop and wait for a day that I am. It always comes. But trying to force myself is just a waste of time for me.

SallyS 12-28-2021 09:23 AM

You must have felt wonderful!!!

Onebyone 12-28-2021 02:30 PM

I take a picture of any quilt pattern in my books I think I may want to make and then I feel fine with getting rid of the book. I email the pictures to myself and then download to a USB drive. One little stick is so much easier then a stack of unused books or magazines.

ckcowl 12-28-2021 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reward idea-

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8527361)
RedGarnet222; for me, I asked my sister and daughter to help, neither sew and has no emotional connection. Each spent 3 days. Seriously supportive people. Since then I've been able to continue the process.

CKcowl; congratulations! You deserve a big reward. Non-sewing related: glass of wine, pedicure/manacure, new book......

I scheduled a Pedicure. :)
for a long time it was difficult for me to get rid of my stuff- but I ( finally) decided to Get Honest with myself. I pick up a book or pattern and look at it, remember often when I got it then ask myself * what are the chances you will ever actually make this ? Or anything in this book? It’s really quite ridiculous that I have so many patterns and books since 98% of the time I don’t use a pattern, I put quilts together ( make them up as I go) my granddaughter tells people “ oh my grandma, she just wings it” I tell people I’m way too undisciplined to follow a pattern; so why do I have hundreds of them??? For ideas, jumping off points I guess. But, I don’t have to keep all this ( stuff) for that when we can browse on line all the time. There are a few I’m keeping mainly because I have a specific person/ project to do but all these that have just been on my shelves for years and never used- time for them to go.

RedGarnet222 01-01-2022 02:37 PM

Thank you both for your input on how to force myself to organize and get rid of my stash of overflowing sewing and quilting things. I went up and got rid of some of the cuttings from the batting I had saved for belts and potholders or whatever little things. I am feeling gratified at having done the thing and evacuated it from the room. It was six plastic quilt bags full. I thought I would make dog beds from it, but, I don't have time for such nonsense. Now to tackle the bins of scraps and what was I thinking fabrics. I think I can, I think I can ....