Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Storing Scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/storing-scraps-t225619.html)

MartiMorga 07-12-2013 08:03 AM

This is also a new project for me. I use to just dump them in a rolling plastic drawer thingy. But after reading how everyone here has them organized, thought I better do that too. Well I have started.....started......started, lol. I will tell you that I save all those plastic packages that you get with sheets, sheer curtains, some towel sets, and God knows what else. They usually have zippers in them - so as I have started I have one for 1" squares, 1 1/2 ", 2", 2 1/2 " and 5". I put all of them in a larger plastic box which is were I am putting my strips of 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. Those I have in stacks inside the box. I figure it is a good starting system and as I outgrow that I will expand. I am really hoping that I will use them up before they become "boxes and boxes".

nanacc 07-12-2013 10:21 AM

As some others said; I have begun cutting my scraps usually into the largest squares or strips that work or whatever I believe will be the most practical. I have done most on my AccuQuilt Go. I sorted into zip-lock bags with sizes printed in sharpie. I have bags from quart to 2 1/2 gal. All bags are in a plastic tote. 1 gal to 2 1/2 gal are also great for blocks.

amelia0607 07-12-2013 10:28 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies! Great thoughts!!

mimi=17 07-13-2013 06:38 PM

Mine just keeps growing and growing,I must not be sewing fast enough.lol

acesgame 07-14-2013 05:56 PM

Amy,
If you are like me you won't want to store your stuff all over but in one place. If there is room in your dining room, find an old side board for storage, then decide how you would like to store the scraps. You can make an ironing cover for the top of the piece when you are working and then store it inside. Most sideboards have door units and drawers which would be great storage.

gaylinski 07-22-2013 09:38 AM

How big and small should a scrap be - meaning I don't know what constitutes a scrap. Little pieces that would have to be glued to work, large pieces you could almost make some little something out of. My scrap box right now has all sizes and I'd like to break them down but don't know where to start. HELP PLEASE!

phranny 07-22-2013 05:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gaylinski (Post 6190415)
How big and small should a scrap be - meaning I don't know what constitutes a scrap. Little pieces that would have to be glued to work, large pieces you could almost make some little something out of. My scrap box right now has all sizes and I'd like to break them down but don't know where to start. HELP PLEASE!

I understand your frustration because I was there once too! I wanted to make Bonnie Hunter's scrappy trips around the world, and started cutting up pieces of fabrics. The left over fabric I cut into 5 inch squares, as I find this is a size I like to work with. There are many patterns and books that use this size as well, and it is a pretty standard measurement (charm packs are this size). I then cut the remaining fabric into 2 1/2 inch strips, another standard measurement (jelly rolls). With these two sizes I can make numerous quilts and combinations that don't test my quilting skills for now. Someday, I hope to be more skilled, and make more intricate designs, but for now I am content to play away with these sizes.
And all the odd sized scraps go into the scrap box. I found a pattern I liked on-line that would use up my odd shaped scraps, and sewed them randomly onto a muslin foundation. It made a very interesting scrap quilt. Any trimmings go into a pillowcase lined wicker basket and when it's full, I stitch it up and the dog gets a new pillow.
I will try to attach a few pics of what I mean.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425357[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425358[/ATTACH]
The first photo is the scrappy trips quilt, next are the extra charms I cut and can't wait to make something out of them. I also just finished a snowball scrappy, and the next is the scrappy one sewn onto muslin backing. And a closeup of the fabrics, there is everything in that quilt. Both quilts need to be quilted and I just pulled them of the shelf, so pardon the wrinkles.
I hope this gives you an idea of how just one person organizes their scraps. Your system will be different. And, all these tips and ideas I have learned from this quilting board!
Have fun, and don't stress over it! A system will develope for you too.

amelia0607 07-23-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by acesgame (Post 6177664)
Amy,
If you are like me you won't want to store your stuff all over but in one place. If there is room in your dining room, find an old side board for storage, then decide how you would like to store the scraps. You can make an ironing cover for the top of the piece when you are working and then store it inside. Most sideboards have door units and drawers which would be great storage.

Love this idea! Unfortunately, the dining room currently has 3 (very full) china cabinets, a buffet (also full), and my table. Barely room for folks to pull out chairs to sit in on the rare occasion that we actually eat in there. I do think the buffet could be cleaned out though! And there might be a corner free - oh a music cabinet would fit there. Next antique trip that's an item to hunt for!!

amelia0607 07-23-2013 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by phranny (Post 6191062)
I understand your frustration because I was there once too! I wanted to make Bonnie Hunter's scrappy trips around the world, and started cutting up pieces of fabrics. The left over fabric I cut into 5 inch squares, as I find this is a size I like to work with. There are many patterns and books that use this size as well, and it is a pretty standard measurement (charm packs are this size). I then cut the remaining fabric into 2 1/2 inch strips, another standard measurement (jelly rolls). With these two sizes I can make numerous quilts and combinations that don't test my quilting skills for now. Someday, I hope to be more skilled, and make more intricate designs, but for now I am content to play away with these sizes.
And all the odd sized scraps go into the scrap box. I found a pattern I liked on-line that would use up my odd shaped scraps, and sewed them randomly onto a muslin foundation. It made a very interesting scrap quilt. Any trimmings go into a pillowcase lined wicker basket and when it's full, I stitch it up and the dog gets a new pillow.
I will try to attach a few pics of what I mean.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425357[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425358[/ATTACH]
The first photo is the scrappy trips quilt, next are the extra charms I cut and can't wait to make something out of them. I also just finished a snowball scrappy, and the next is the scrappy one sewn onto muslin backing. And a closeup of the fabrics, there is everything in that quilt. Both quilts need to be quilted and I just pulled them of the shelf, so pardon the wrinkles.
I hope this gives you an idea of how just one person organizes their scraps. Your system will be different. And, all these tips and ideas I have learned from this quilting board!
Have fun, and don't stress over it! A system will develope for you too.

Beautiful quilts and thanks for the tips!

gaylinski 07-23-2013 09:19 AM

amelia0607, thanks for your help on the scraps. Love the idea for new pillow for dog. I did buy a tub w/lid and 2 shoe box sized w/lids containers. Now to figure out just how I want to do this!