Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/studio-basement-last-my-post-sandy-studio-horizon-t239646.html)

Krystyna 01-25-2014 09:00 PM

Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon

It has been a long and challenging road these past 15 months since Superstorm Sandy destroyed our home. BUT it looks like we will be (God willing) buying a new home away from the ocean. When we first viewed the house, tucked away in a corner of the basement was a treadle machine with a big plate on the front reading NEW HOME! I said, "It's a sign!" The owner said she'd leave it for me if we bought the house and today we had the inspection and are on the way to signing a contract.

So ... the basement is finished. There are two windows that let in some natural light (obviously not a lot) and there is a dehumidifier in there. There is no smell of dampness at all. Do you think it's safe to keep fabric in a basement? And my machines? And embroidery thread? Nervous,nervous, nervous. The space works very well and will keep my mess out of the main part of the house. There are two very lovely rooms on the second floor of the house that would work very well, but we've decided to let my son and his wife live there ... so ... that's that.

Anyway, I'm excited! And terrified.

Tartan 01-25-2014 09:27 PM

​We keep a dehumidifier running in our basement year round. We have no dampness at all. My husband ran a hose from the dehumidifier to the sump pump so it automatically drains. Good luck in your new sewing room!

wanda lou 01-26-2014 12:48 AM

Oh mygoodness K I am so excited for you,
I think your machines would be fine .

JenniePenny 01-26-2014 02:30 AM

Congratulations! Very happy news! Many, many folks here have basement sewing rooms with no problems.

gsbuffalo 01-26-2014 03:08 AM

congrats and happy new beginnings.

kuntryquilter 01-26-2014 04:02 AM

Let the son & wife live in the basement & you take the upstairs rooms. I know that sounds selfish, but................

lkahle 01-26-2014 04:17 AM

my sewing room is in the basement too. we run the dehumidifier year round as well. happy quilting in your new space

kyquiltlover1942 01-26-2014 04:43 AM

My sewing space is totally underground. No windows at all. When the house was being built, I had extra lights put in. Do not really have a problem with humidity, guess because it is finished. This is the price I paid to get about 1800 square feet all my own. I only HAVE to clean it once or twice when the kids come home. Their bedroom is also down there. It does get cleaned at the end of each project. Try my best to stay organized.

cindynvb 01-26-2014 04:57 AM

Just remember that a dehumidifier costs as much to run as a window air conditioner.

NJ Quilter 01-26-2014 05:06 AM

Congrats on the new home and space. I can only imagine the ordeal you and your family have been through. Is the basement space heated as well? Were the walls insulated before the area was 'finished'? If not, you might need some auxiliary heat to be comfortable there for long periods. And the tip about having the dehumidifier drain directly to the sump pump is key. No fuss/muss that way. And just make sure the electrical panel/service have enough room left to add lighting/heat for that area.

Good luck with your new home and enjoy your new creative space.