Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Suggestion to organize this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/suggestion-organize-t230131.html)

Annaquilts 10-20-2013 09:39 AM

Wished I lived closer then we could help each other. The best I can say is start sorting. I am not big in cutting scraps to standard sizes like Bonnie Hunt so scraps just get sorted by color or by type civil war, batik etc. An organized pile is better then a random one. It is actually painful looking at the picture. I try and sort by size, color, theme, brand etc. Even if that all ends up in one plastic bin neatly folded it is better then it all over the place loose.

Lhayla 10-20-2013 03:45 PM

I have ADHD, so I usually have to take everything out of the room, then start 1 thing at a time... LOL

Sandygirl 10-21-2013 02:19 PM

Get the laundry baskets and start sorting! Grab a trash bag for items to pitch. A trash bag for items to give away/donate. Large zip locks for projects. You can buy large ones at Lowes! Plan how you want to organize your storage. I feel your pain. I have been there! Be realistic on what to keep and what to get rid of. A place for everything and everything in its place became my motto. Always a work in progress, btw.
sandy

scrappingfaye58 10-24-2013 02:22 PM

I agree with most of what others have said... here's my 2 cents worth. 3 boxes/containers, do a quick sort first, *KEEP*, *TOSS* (garbage), *GIVE AWAY*(what the ^%$# was I thinking??? Or things that you just don't need or want anymore (if you are like me, you need a 4th *WHAT THE HECK IS THIS DOING IN HERE???* (stuff that belongs somewhere else in your home) then when you have done the quick sort, go the KEEP bin, and start with what others have suggested.

Annaquilts 10-24-2013 08:24 PM

Duh that I never thought about putting index cards IN the clear bins to label them. I never wanted to tape stuff onto it so now I try to study the contents from the outside, pull the bin to confirm if it is the right one and often I still have the wrong one. Guess what I am doing over the next week or so? Putting index cards in my bins. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tjbeaver (Post 6297416)
purchase same size clear tubs, line them up on floor, pick up fabrics and sort by method of your choice. Maybe color, pattern or groups for a certain project. Whatever works for you...then use index cards for labels and put them inside tub and stack them so labels show. I do not recommend taping labels..that way you can reuse/recycle tubs when you need to do so. Have fun, take your time...don't expect to do it all in one day...I have mine sorted several ways: civil war, polka dots, backings, solids, batiks, aunt gracie, patriotic, western, floral..and by Edyita Sitar, Jason Yenter etc. Remember to have fun!!! Good Luck..

Annaquilts 10-24-2013 08:29 PM

How is it coming along quiltermomma?

Whigrose 10-25-2013 05:38 PM

Call in the 'Eastern Division'

Best,
d

Treasureit 10-25-2013 05:52 PM

ZoZee....You sure do like to organize...you should advertise in your area or at local guilds! Great advise!

Debby H 10-28-2013 08:01 AM

I'd probably start by organizing the pieced quilts first... then start organizing all fabric by color. Just piles to start as I think once that is done you can better assess how to proceed. Maybe by then you'll be able to easily see how much you have by yardage/color and then sort it that way. Piles of reds in large yardage, medium, small. etc...

I just organized all my fabric and have a limited space to do it. I do not have as much fabric as you, but knowing that it all needed to fit into a designated space helped me get focused.

I also had a "give away pile" .. fabric I just learned to let go of because I knew I'd never get thru it all if I didn't learn to let go of some pieces.

QuilterMomma 10-28-2013 08:25 AM

well the pile has been stacked even higher. I just can't seem to get to it. i did pull all the fat quarters that were thrown in, the larger yardage is folded and stacked in the cupboard where it is very clear and visible as to what is useable there. I am in the process of getting new rotary blades so I can what I should while sorting out the strips. I was digging in the pile for some blocks, and wow, do I have binding galore thrown in there. It will be great for a scrap quilt. I set all those that were made into binding in a container so they are readily available when I need them. Now to get after those containers I stuffed back full. To be continued..........