Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   thank you for posting about the ruler fold method! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/thank-you-posting-about-ruler-fold-method-t202758.html)

jeaninmaine 10-11-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks for the link.

Passionate Quilter 10-11-2012 03:49 PM

I agree, the ruler fold method is awesome. I just finished my last bit of material and my fabric stash will be all organized. Mine is kept on shelves in a closet and I open the door just to look in an see my fabric, it is so inspirational.

wannaquilt1 10-11-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Passionate Quilter (Post 5578799)
I agree, the ruler fold method is awesome. I just finished my last bit of material and my fabric stash will be all organized. Mine is kept on shelves in a closet and I open the door just to look in an see my fabric, it is so inspirational.

I agree it just makes me want to sew!

Rose_P 10-12-2012 10:40 AM

I have just finished doing this, and it's great just being able to quickly see what I have. Also it saves a lot of space over my former helter-skelter habits. I was fascinated to see that I have a disproportionate amount of red fabric. I have hardly used any in my quilts, but I must like it because I have bought plenty of it. The next quilt will definitely have some red.

wannaquilt1 10-18-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P (Post 5580457)
I have just finished doing this, and it's great just being able to quickly see what I have. Also it saves a lot of space over my former helter-skelter habits. I was fascinated to see that I have a disproportionate amount of red fabric. I have hardly used any in my quilts, but I must like it because I have bought plenty of it. The next quilt will definitely have some red.

I love it! Isn't it fun to see what you actually have? I have always wished my fabric was organized like it is at the store and now it can be! YAY!

Prim Quilts 10-18-2012 11:00 AM

It's going to take me a while, but I am going to go thru and do this to all my fabric!

PaperPrincess 10-19-2012 05:57 AM

I've been slowly going thru my fabric and doing the 1-3 yard cuts using the ruler method. My LQS had and 'empty the bolt' sale and there was a JoAnn's that was moving, selling longer yardage cuts. What do you do with the larger cuts, like 5-6 yards? I tried the ruler method, but the roll was so thick that you couldn't fold it at the end. Bigger ruler? Beg empty cardboard bolts from my LQS???

LoisM 10-27-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 5575105)
Its great once you get all of your fabric out where you can see it. I didn't do the ruler method but found the best way to fold for my shelves and was amazed at the fabric I had and had forgotten about. I'll never use totes again; well under my bed are slide out totes wit lots of fleece but I know what's in them. I also went to Home Depot and had more shelves cut for my bookcase so that they weren't stacked as high and I could organize them better by color or print.

Good idea, romanojg! I'd need to find some pegs too.

amyjo 10-29-2012 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5596588)
I've been slowly going thru my fabric and doing the 1-3 yard cuts using the ruler method. My LQS had and 'empty the bolt' sale and there was a JoAnn's that was moving, selling longer yardage cuts. What do you do with the larger cuts, like 5-6 yards? I tried the ruler method, but the roll was so thick that you couldn't fold it at the end. Bigger ruler? Beg empty cardboard bolts from my LQS???

I use the cardboard that fabric is sold on at Joann's. I get them totally free, because then they don't have to carry it out to the dumpster. All you have to do is ask. I cut mine into 4 pieces so I have 2 larger pieces for large yardage and 2 smaller ones for smaller pieces. they stack just great and I can see what I have. I also have left some whole because I use the them for the really large pieces of fabric.