Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   thread storage? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/thread-storage-t179273.html)

twoxover 02-13-2012 01:33 PM

thread storage?

i'm really trying to figure out thread storage. so far, i've got some in a closet in a plastic box, some in the top drawer of my sewing table, etc....

i'm not really wanting to use one of the racks--i think the threads would get dusty. how are YOU storing your thread???

betsey

annies-best 02-13-2012 01:35 PM

good luck .. i have the same problem i have lots of those plastic thread holders but they just don't hold much

amyjo 02-13-2012 02:10 PM

My dad made two for me. Are quite large to hold lots of spools of thread. I just take small sandwich bags and put on like a hat on each spool. Keeps the dust of and I can see what I have for thread. Can be mounted on a wall or leaned against something if you don't want to hang it.

Rubesgirl 02-13-2012 03:31 PM

My spools are stored inside my sewing machine cabinet. Also, an old friend made me spool storage from reclaimed boards & 10-penny nails hammered into them. It works well, is inexpensive & I line the idea of using recycled resources.

DogHouseMom 02-13-2012 03:43 PM

I use clear plastic "tackle" cases. Each case is about 9" long by 24" wide and more than tall enough to hold a standing spool. It comes with separators that I can put in. I can get about 40 spools per case. I have 5 cases currently. One holds nothing but my Aurifil 50wt which is what I use the most of. Other cases hold my quilting weight threads (30, 28 & 12), and another with "odd ball" threads (60wt, metallic, clear, etc) ... etc. I label the front of each case. I also keep my thread notes (ie needle size and tension that works best with each thread) on sticky labels on the inside flap of the case.

I have a small book case in my sewing room where I keep them stacked along with my sewing books and store other notions.

Quilterfay 02-13-2012 07:07 PM

I bought the Sulky cases that folds in half. The only thing is they are mainly made for the small spools when you get a medium you can get them in but it is tight. I have 4 of them mostly full.

Helen6869 02-13-2012 07:23 PM

I don['t really know if they still have these but I bought 4 matchbox car plastic storage containers about 5 years ago. They work great for thread. You can store 1 large spool or 2 regular spools in each slot. These are normal spools, not cone spools. Those, ummmm, I don't really know unless you want them on a board. I always thought mine would get so dusty out all the time so right now, most are in an old wooden bread box I've had for years. Works ok. Will be happy to see how others handle this.

Sunnie 02-13-2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo (Post 4972270)
My dad made two for me. Are quite large to hold lots of spools of thread. I just take small sandwich bags and put on like a hat on each spool. Keeps the dust of and I can see what I have for thread. Can be mounted on a wall or leaned against something if you don't want to hang it.

Great idea with the baggies. Thanks.

nstitches4u 02-13-2012 07:53 PM

Walmart sells clear vinyl plastic covers for the June Tailor thread racks that they sell.

sewellie 02-13-2012 08:46 PM

I read this somewhere but can't remember where. I don't know how to post pictures on here by if you pm me with your e-mail address I can send the picture through my e-mail. Anyway, we took the picture boxes that JoAnn's put on sale, or use the 40% off, and glue golf tees to the bottom of the box. I used the long tees and I can store the spool of thread and the bobbin with matching thread on the same tee. Very cheap fix. And they have a lid. You could use any box that is deep enough to put thread and bobbin. I can get 18 in mine. I chose those boxes because I had a lot from collecting them over the years. On the outside I label them - all purpose, hand quilting, machine quilting, etc. They stack nicely on a shelf.
Just a FYI.