Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Utter Clutter makes me Mutter! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/utter-clutter-makes-me-mutter-t301659.html)

zozee 12-18-2018 11:32 PM

Utter Clutter makes me Mutter!

I'm so disgusted with the condition of overwhelm in my sewing room. When it's tidy, it's picture worthy and inspiring, but it seldom stays that way. I have too much stuff and I'm ready to give up quilting.

Not really.

But tonight I did consider that for a few minutes. One thing's for sure: January of 2019 is gonna have a big theme: Purge. With a capital P.

KwiltyKahy 12-19-2018 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8178590)
I'm so disgusted with the condition of overwhelm in my sewing room. When it's tidy, it's picture worthy and inspiring, but it seldom stays that way. I have too much stuff and I'm ready to give up quilting.

Not really.

But tonight I did consider that for a few minutes. One thing's for sure: January of 2019 is gonna have a big theme: Purge. With a capital P.

I think you must have been reading my mind. My sewing room is so out of control it is cringe worthy. My plan is to take my main machine in for it's yearly service and clean and organize while it is gone.

liking quilting 12-19-2018 04:35 AM

I'm guilty of being a clutter type person too. Not a hoarder. and I clean regularly, but seem to neglect the throw out, give away chores. Putting things in their proper place isn't my first priority. Always feels so good when I do. Hope to be retired in the near future, and those neglected duties will be my "job" for the foreseeable future!

toverly 12-19-2018 04:38 AM

I get that way too. Right now I have too many patterns printed to do at a later time. I did make a break thru about the middle of this year and finally got rid of most of my prints left over from quilts. I decided I don't really like prints mixed together and if I had already made a quilt out of the set of prints, I had used them enough. The bits and pieces and sometimes yardage went to the Quilt Guild free table. Larger sets went to Community Quilts at the Guild. After 6 months, I haven't missed a thing. But that doesn't apply to my batiks and 30's fabrics.

lindaschipper 12-19-2018 04:58 AM

I also come to this conclusion a few months back.....have sold off what I could live without. Yes, I bought some new fabric too. But I've also gone in a new direction of making Project Linus quilts and table runners and toppers as they are smaller and quicker to finish. This fall I'll do a couple of shows and sell some of the runners/toppers....otherwise everyone is getting them for Christmas in 2019....LOL

Rhonda K 12-19-2018 05:16 AM

I'm on the yellow bus with all of you too. Yellow for caution please. I move projects from one pile to another as priorities change depending on time limits. I managed to finish the EMB reading pillow for grandson just in time.

At least the iron is shut off and the rotary cutter is closed.

luvstoquilt 12-19-2018 05:33 AM

I declutter every January and put my scraps in order. I have decided to donate the scraps left over from last year before I organize the ones from this year. Next, I will attempt to organize scraps as soon as I finish a quilt so next January I can just sew and enjoy my hobby. My stash is large but I love it and would go buy more today if one of my cronies calls. I am trying to be good but I am sure you know how it is! Merry Christmas!��

jmoore 12-19-2018 05:45 AM

I also organize my sewing studio each January...I make a list of the few UFO’s I have and set goals for 2019. Since I have a dedicated room and it’s just me...it doesn’t get too unruly. I made note of a suggestion that Rob posted a little while back...now as I come across fabric that I no longer want or need, it goes in a box or bag to get donated.

SusieQOH 12-19-2018 05:52 AM

Zozee- I cleaned up my shelves and didn't realize how much fabric I have. Next year I have a goal to use it and stop buying so much.
My room is a disaster and my sweet DIL will be here for the holidays. I want to be able to sew with her so I'm going to get cracking, hopefully today.
It's too much!!!! Story of my life.
I've done a great job purging a lot of my house but this room is a bugger!

For a reward I'm getting gel nails tomorrow :)
My husband purged the garage so tomorrow he's getting a pedi !!! :)

Sew Freak 12-19-2018 06:17 AM

Here's my pennies worth....I finally got my playroom fixed to where I think I will be happy where things are(for now anyway....next week----who knows!) For the last 6-8 mos. I have been diligently putting away anything I use once I've finished using it!!! You know, who knew the words 'if you take something out put it back where you got if from' would come to haunt me worse than 'Grimm'!!!!! moreover.....IT WORKS!!! My room stays so much more organized!That is my only best suggestion I can offer-but it does work. And now I enjoy being in my room more!!