Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What do cats and scraps have in common?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-do-cats-scraps-have-common-t224590.html)

IshtarsMom 06-26-2013 12:10 PM

What do cats and scraps have in common??

3 Attachment(s)
These really helped for those pieces too big for scrap pile but not big enough for big wrapped boards...Cut down kitty litter boxes, made the boards to fit, wrapped fabric and taped them...some for solids, some for patterns. Easy to pull out and audition for projects...they can lay flat, stand up, or stack on top of each other...the best part is we are recycling and saving money on organizers...you can dress them up if you want to and after looking at the pictures think that might be a good idea..lol. Right now I'm leaving the ones alone I did first even though I like the last size better and the material lays much flatter...will use them up and fold any new material in the last size.

The size I like best is this one....

Cut the box to 5 " tall (makes it 5" H x Long W of Box)

Cut cardboard to wrap the fabric around 4 1/2" W x 6 1/4" L from the leftover box. That was what worked on the box I was using but some of the other boxes had different measurements so you just want to make sure it is about 1/4 " less than the width of the box. I did 4 1/2 W because in the back of the box is an extra layer of cardboard...so if you cut it to 5" it will stick out the front after the fabric is wrapped.

My DH said I should add a disclaimer to the photos stating that it didn't always look this neat...Huh! You should see his desk and it's in the middle of the living room...LOL

McKayzie 06-26-2013 01:31 PM

I think it's time I get a cat. What a great idea!

IshtarsMom 06-26-2013 01:56 PM

HaHa!! A complete professional system would be cheaper if you don't already have one..We have 4 spoiled brats so we have an abundance of boxes....maybe you know someone with a fur baby...Thank you for your reply...

mighty 06-26-2013 07:30 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbingwell 06-27-2013 03:41 AM

Thanks for the great idea. I have saved a bunch of these boxes because they are nearly indestructable.

Geri B 06-27-2013 04:06 AM

All the boxes I have tossed....never again, thanks for the inspiration.....just started making shopping bags out of the dog &cat food bags, now fab stackers from litter boxes! Wow, doing a great job of re-purposing.

Sandrea 06-27-2013 08:27 AM

That was a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

mindless 06-27-2013 10:44 AM

:thumbup: great idea! But I think I will line them with acid-free paper first, b4 using. Thanks for the tip.

IshtarsMom 06-27-2013 11:01 AM

Lining is a really good tip too and I can see how that would be a really great idea for valuable fabric...I don't have any that it could possibly hurt...can't throw them away...keep hoping they will just disappear or disintegrate but noooo they just keep hanging around taking up space waiting for just the right inspiration... The boxes themselves could use a bit of sprucing up...would love to see some pictures of how it works out for others.... Thanks....

Marysewfun 06-27-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by IshtarsMom (Post 6146967)
The boxes themselves could use a bit of sprucing up...would love to see some pictures of how it works out for others.... Thanks....

Hmmm - how about covering the boxes themselves with fabric (like file boxes or whatever) so that they would all look like a "planned set" organization? My cat "refuses" to use a cat box so that idea is out for me :-)