Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What do you cover your ironing table with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-do-you-cover-your-ironing-table-t291439.html)

Penster 09-24-2017 06:22 PM

What do you cover your ironing table with?

Making an ironing table, and I have seen and read many variations of what materials to use. I believe I will use 100% cotton batting, and then cotton canvas. But I have read where others use silver ironing fabric which does not get nearly as dirty as canvas, as it can be wiped clean. If you have a self made ironing table, would you share with me the materials you used that have worked successfully? Thanks!!!

Tartan 09-24-2017 08:08 PM

I covered mine with batt and thick cotton muslin. I iron a square of freezer paper to the surface if I am using fusible and peel it off and replace it when it gets dirty.

slstitcher 09-24-2017 08:22 PM

I got mine from Nancy's Notions. It is made by BoNash or something. Comes in two sizes. I has adehisive on one side and sticks to your board. It is silver. I love, love, love it.

elnan 09-24-2017 10:10 PM

I can't tolerate the smell of the silver ones, and have known people who insist they are allergic to the coating and that it causes breathing problems for them. I have looked at all the instructions for making your own big board. Final decision is that I am in the process of making a removable cover for it. The last cover I made for the pointy ironing board was white denim with a few lines drawn with black magic marker as guidelines for pressing long seams that I did not want to be curved. This cover is a figured cotton, same weight as for patchwork. The board is 3/4" plywood cut to 18" X 60", well sanded and corners slightly curved. I covered the board with two layers of a thrift store wool blanket. I used an upholstery tool that has sharp nails that bite into the fabric so you can hold it tight while using a stapler or tacks. My husband loaned me one of his Arrow staplers that was easier on my wrists and hand than the shorter red stapler I bought with the upholstery kit years ago.
During my lifetime I have seen many old ironing boards that were padded only with two layers of wool, and some padded with batting. I hated the ones that had a thin layer of foam for padding. If two layers of wool proves inadequate, there is always the staple puller and a do-over.

QuiltnNan 09-25-2017 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 7912950)
...with a few lines drawn with black magic marker as guidelines for pressing long seams that I did not want to be curved. ...

I love this idea. thanks

ka9sdn 09-25-2017 04:41 AM

I did basically what elnan described. I just used a cute sewing pattern fabric. The fabric lasted me over 6 years before I had to "patch" the area I used the most (I had same fabric leftover) and am just carrying on. My padding was some warm and natural. I love my big board.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-25-2017 05:46 AM

My DH made a board that fit over my big ironing board. We covered it with many layers of good cotton batting, in fact I think we got a thrift store mattress pad and used that first then covered it with batting. I have many pieces of designer Uphostery fabric that is 100% cotton and we stapled it down. When I want to change it, we will just remove the staples. We have had this about 5 years now and it's in great condition still. To be honest though, I usually use it for only ironing the top and back when I'm ready to long arm.

mac 09-25-2017 07:29 AM

I like my ironing board to be flat. I don't use batting. For my regular ironing board (the scissors kind) I use denim or really heavy cotton fabric (I think it is called 'duck') in a medium color, so it doesn't show dirt or burnt on starch. This can be washed and put back on.

For my home-made wooden board that is 32" x 24", I put down a layer of Insulbright and then cover it with denim or a heavy cotton. This is stapled to the board. However, next time I will make one and put a cord around the edge so that I can gather it up and then be able to just untie it and wash it and then put it back on when it gets dirty.

The reason that I don't use batting on my boards is because I feel that blocks iron much flatter when there isn't any puffiness on the ironing board.

elizajo 09-25-2017 08:24 AM

I use some wool coating yardage underneath a remnant of cotton drapery fabric that is densely woven like denim or canvas. The wool fabric is an old piece that I think is 100% melton. Once washed, it is very flat and dense. A double layer was stretched and stapled to the plywood, then I wrapped the upholstery around the board. The weight of the board holds the canvas in place really well, and I can remove it easily for washing. I use this board for dressmaking, too, so I like having the wool for steaming and shaping seams correctly.

Chasing Hawk 09-25-2017 08:34 AM

I just use the silver stuff from Joann's.