Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What do you do with leftovers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-do-you-do-leftovers-t310703.html)

Nerys 05-20-2021 01:56 AM

The site Sew4Home had a project about teatowels embellished with strips of quilt fabric. Nice use for leftovers

Quiltlady330 01-27-2022 09:50 PM

Leftovers

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK (Post 8380194)
I have finally finished the BH Frolic quilt. It was a bear and I made it a throw size, therefore I have a bunch of units left over. Short of tossing them, how would you organize them for future use?
ps : in the Frolic thread I asked for quilting suggestions,got any?

Have you seen Jenny Doan's new tutorial on YouTube entitled Crumb Quilts? You might be interested if you have lots of small leftovers.

KalamaQuilts 01-28-2022 01:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I used BH mystery leftovers in 40"X40"-ish quilts, just the right size to hang on my balcony and a size I can quilt, and some for bedrunners. Usually in a combination from different mysteries :)

julybaby8 07-01-2022 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8534001)
I used BH mystery leftovers in 40"X40"-ish quilts, just the right size to hang on my balcony and a size I can quilt, and some for bedrunners. Usually in a combination from different mysteries :)

KalamaQuilts, I love your quilts on your balcony. I am a BH fan as well.

MaryKa 07-26-2022 11:10 AM

My leftovers are the quilt fabric when I get pieces large enough to make other items.
1 Little girl clothes. Mostly Sunday-go-to-meeting dresses
2. 26-inch doll clothes (Ann & Andy type dolls)
3. 18-inch doll clothes. Afterall every Mommy needs clothes for their babies.
4. Bigger block quilts.
5. Dolly sized quilts. Both 18- and 26-inch
6 Everything else goes into my stash a second time for crazy quilts, Like the ones from the 50's & 60's. No pattern just bits & pieces of fabric sewed together and then tops cut to the desired size. Most are backed with sheets and sewed on my Singer HeavyDuty. I Never hand quilt because it now is beginning to look like I'm basting the pieces and I hate it, So the machine does all the work from the center to the edge with embroidery hoops keeping the quilt tight enough for the quilt to come out mostly good. But all quilts are warm for the street people in the winter.

petthefabric 07-30-2022 09:33 AM

Today, I decided someone else will be thrilled. Put them in the basket that goes to Rainbow Quilters and their ‘free’ table. Everything I took this week was taken, try it again.

maviskw 09-22-2022 01:32 PM

I try to keep all my leftover strips in long boxes. I find that, if I stuff them into a bag, they are all wrinkled, and I don't feel like using them.

carolaug 12-22-2023 03:40 AM

I have been trying to use my scraps as soon as I am done my quilt, otherwise they tend to just stay in the box. I make potholders, pillows, placemats, mug rugs, tote bags.

Jshep 12-22-2023 08:04 AM

QuiltnNan- I have also done that, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

carolaug 01-17-2024 12:50 AM

I have been going through scraps. making cat toys with the flannel triangles - put a bit of catnip in them. My cat loves them so I will make more for the animal shelter. I also have been making some mats with my left over 2 1/2 squares and put them in the frig to place under milk and glass or metal bottoms. Less cleaning of the glass in the frog. I have also been making the triangle book marks and going to see if I can donate to the library.