Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   what NOT to do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-not-do-t259482.html)

NanaCindyLou 01-10-2015 08:57 AM

what NOT to do

We've had a major change at our house. My son, daughter-in-law, 2 1/2 yr old grandson & their 3 dogs & 1 cat have moved into my 2 bedroom/1 bath cottage with my DH & our 2 dogs....Space is a premium! I never really had a sewing "room" - sewing machine in spare room, fabric in closets & drawers all over the house - not a good system even before the family enlargement...Last night I bought a cabinet to store all of my fabric & sewing things with the intention of "getting organized" and freeing up some closet space. OMG! I knew we would have to move some furniture out and rearrange other things but right this minute my house is in such an upheaval that I'm not sure we'll ever get straightened out again! I'm just a little overwhelmed at the moment... I know everything will be fine.... Probably when all is done I will be able to find just what I am looking for quickly and be able to sew more...Like I said, just a bit overwhelmed right this minute.

Tartan 01-10-2015 09:11 AM

That's going to be tight but hopefully you can still squeeze in a little sewing space. Family comes first and kudos to you for stepping up!

NJ Quilter 01-10-2015 09:17 AM

Wow! That is quite a housefull in a tiny space! I get very overwhelmed when things are in such disarray as well. Might take a few iterations to get all the furniture in the right places, but I'm sure you'll be better organized at the end of the process. Good luck.

janRN 01-10-2015 09:17 AM

Oh my! I admire you and as Tartan said, family does come first. I know it sounds trite but "one day at a time"! You'll be amazed at what you find when cleaning out fabric storage. I always find a piece and say to myself "what was I thinking when I bought this?" Enjoy the time with the DGKs and family, but do make time for yourself!

tessagin 01-10-2015 09:28 AM

Just sending prayers! You may want to think about a storage unit for a time. My friend has 1 bedroom apt. She bought couple armoires; one for sewing and one for computer/tv. Daughter and son-in-law lost home to fire right before move-in. 6 months still with her. praying for you!

lots2do 01-10-2015 09:47 AM

Phew, you do have a houseful. Hope you can carve out some time to reorganize so that you can still create. So important for our stress levels.

coopah 01-11-2015 04:32 AM

The thought of all the people/animals in one house overwhelms ME and I'm not even there! Wow! Prayers said that the situation works and that you are blessed for stepping up and helping.

Julienm1 01-11-2015 04:55 AM

My thought if for them and maybe you to PURGE PURGE PURGE. Time to get rid of the 'stuff' they haven't used for a long time but the maybe they already have.

If you are like me, sewing is my therapy. Sew during toddlers nap time....unless he goes to day care.

Good luck, Keep us posted. Hugs!

jbingwell 01-11-2015 05:03 AM

After recently downsizing, I can relate to chaos. Day by day, things will calm down somewhat and become more normal. This kind of thing sure puts life in perspective. Be thankful that you are able to help them.

Geri B 01-11-2015 07:21 AM

You will survive.......and you will have a gb around to entertain you and you can enjoy.......that's a gift......just make sure you set down house rules for everyone......remember M is for Mom, not Maid.......do some handwork, if you like to, in the meantime.....