Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

mmunchkins 09-09-2020 06:35 AM

I agree, craftiladi. Your room looks so nice. I love the bright colors.

rryder 09-09-2020 01:07 PM

Love your sewing room, Craftiladi- thanks for posting pics.

Last night I re-organized my jeweler's bench to accommodate the new flex-shaft and flex-shaft hanger I bought since my old hanger only handles one motor, and I now have...er let's just say I have more than one.,, but I only use two of them. Anyway, after I installed the new flex-shaft hanger I put everything back, but with an emphasis on how I actually use my bench. Amazingly, everything not only fit, but I ended up with more workspace on my bench top.

And, the tickler file system I set up a few months ago is still working like a charm. No more piles of paperwork on my desk- Yay!!!

Rob

retiredteacher09 09-09-2020 05:24 PM

craftiladi: Nice sewing area and I still have my wedding gift Kenmore tucked into it’s sewing desk. 1973

Rob: I will need to look up flex-shaft holders. I’m glad your tickler file is working for you.

Claire123 09-11-2020 07:06 PM

I am making a pocket wallhanging. It'll be a great place to hide/organize anything that really does not have a designated spot. I'm making it in colors that will co-ordinate with what's already going on in my sewing room. Hope to have it finished in another week or so, then I can move on to cleaning out/organizing my sewing machine cabinet. I haven't attempted that in years!

The pattern is on AllPeople.com.

I'm really energized and inspired by everyone's straightening up. Keep up the great work!

oksewglad 09-15-2020 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Claire123 (Post 8417413)
I am making a pocket wallhanging. It'll be a great place to hide/organize anything that really does not have a designated spot. I'm making it in colors that will co-ordinate with what's already going on in my sewing room. Hope to have it finished in another week or so, then I can move on to cleaning out/organizing my sewing machine cabinet. I haven't attempted that in years!

The pattern is on AllPeople.com.

I'm really energized and inspired by everyone's straightening up. Keep up the great work!

Good for you. Me, I'd need to have a huge pocket and a even bigger wall!

I took on a task yesterday. Our church sewing circle hasn't met since early winter. The sewing room is filled with odds and ends of donated fabrics and general chaos. Our leader is now in the nursing home and the next in line has limited physical abilities mostly due to being older. This room hasn't been cleaned out in years. I decided to take a look at it and start organizing. Somewhat timid about how deep I should be going in the abyss, I talked with another older gal who takes completed items to the next step. Oh my...her reply to my trepidation was "Oh I am so glad someone is taking care of it...go for it and if it's not fit to use...well you know what to do." She answered alot of my questions of what would be useful and where it is all going. Brought home 2 boxes yesterday and another 2 today. and now I am sorting...

retiredteacher09 09-15-2020 06:25 PM

oksewglad: Bless your heart! That’s a huge undertaking. Several years ago, our church had a room open up that we would share with another group. It was quite a bit smaller than the basement in our leader’s house so she spent a lot of time sorting through things and donating machines to the garage sale for the church youth. Since then, the donations have been sorted through as they come in by the volunteers on quilting day. However, we haven’t met since mid March, so our leader was concerned there might be a lot of fabric, etc, in our donation spot. I reminded her that church was closed still at that time so no donations could be made. 🤷‍♀️ Of course, the building is open now so I guess one of us better check the boxes. Lol!

craftiladi 09-16-2020 04:31 AM

My sewing room is mainly just that "Sewing" but I also have dabbled in other crafts. I am anal about keeping like items together so I don't have to go hunting when I am starting a project. Right now my current dilemma is craft paints. Currently in small baskets sitting on a book shelve, But the pieces waiting to be painted are someplace else, brushes & jars someplace else along with books on painting etc. I am also blessed with the analness (hmm is that a word-lol) of the room needs to be functional but also look good. Open to any suggestions.

rryder 09-16-2020 06:01 AM

hi Dee,
I tend to keep brushes with the paints they are going to be used with. I have acrylics, oils, watercolors, encaustics and fabric paints, all of which have their own sets of brushes that I keep in jars on the shelves next to the paints in my studio that serves as a multipurpose studio (painting, jewelry making, paper crafting and sandwiching quilts). An organizer convinced me to keep all my books together in one spot instead of scattered in a variety of different rooms, but in the past, I had my painting and jewelry making books in the studio where I do those things and my quilting books in my quilting studio. I keep pieces in progress together by type, so paintings and jewelry pieces stay in the studio where they will be worked on and my quilting pieces stay in the quilting studio until I'm ready to either paint on them or sandwich them, at which point I move them to the other studio space where I have a big table to lay them out on. Not idea, but I don't have any one space that is big enough to hold all my arts and crafts doings. Don't know if that helps you any or not.

Rob

Jordan 09-16-2020 08:03 AM

oksewglad-You have taken over a huge project but it will be so nice to have the organized fabrics as to where people can see them. You are very kind to do this.

craftiladi 09-18-2020 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8418416)
hi Dee,
I tend to keep brushes with the paints they are going to be used with. I have acrylics, oils, watercolors, encaustics and fabric paints, all of which have their own sets of brushes that I keep in jars on the shelves next to the paints in my studio that serves as a multipurpose studio (painting, jewelry making, paper crafting and sandwiching quilts). An organizer convinced me to keep all my books together in one spot instead of scattered in a variety of different rooms, but in the past, I had my painting and jewelry making books in the studio where I do those things and my quilting books in my quilting studio. I keep pieces in progress together by type, so paintings and jewelry pieces stay in the studio where they will be worked on and my quilting pieces stay in the quilting studio until I'm ready to either paint on them or sandwich them, at which point I move them to the other studio space where I have a big table to lay them out on. Not idea, but I don't have any one space that is big enough to hold all my arts and crafts doings. Don't know if that helps you any or not.

Rob

Thanks for replying & again thank-you Everyone for your nice comments about my sewing room. As far as my dilemma with my paint supplies-in looking around my room & closet there isn't enough space left anywhere to house it all together w/o doing a bunch of rearranging......ugh just not in the mood right now for that-maybe in the near future or when it has finally bugged me to want to do actually do something lol, think I will just go sew for now. Have a great weekend :)