Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

Julienm1 09-23-2020 12:00 PM

Baby scrappy all done and ready for the washer and off to GGM. Did the glue baste technique and it has a learning curve. Even tho I diluted the glue, it was too thick. It was so fast and can't wait to do it again.

rryder 09-26-2020 03:02 AM

I found places for all the fabric my neighbor gave me. That was a job, but worth it as there are some really nice pieces. Her mother tended to buy 2 to 3 yard cuts and there were a number that she hadn’t used. There were a number of plaids that I placed on hangers and they are now in the wardrobe behind my design wall along with some home dec pieces that are very nice and will work well in wall hangings. Anything that I don’t plan on using right away got put in the wardrobe.

Keep it up everyone, reading about your progress is a great motivator!

Rob

Julienm1 09-26-2020 03:25 AM

Made a design wall yesterday using old polar fleece lap blanket and old cafe curtain rod. Placed quilt blocks on it yesterday and blocks still attached today. No pinning! YEAH!!!
Hopefully now it will be easier to organize quilts that are running around in my head.
Delivered baby quilt to soon to be GG yesterday so today can concentrate on the quilt on the new design wall. It's hanging in the laundry room...really brightens up the room..lol

rryder 09-27-2020 04:59 AM

Good for you, Julienm1! I love my design wall- it has made my quilting life much easier. You are going to love having yours.

Today I want to tackle a corner of my studio where I stuck some boxes full of stuff that I didn’t know what to do with. It’s time to go through them and decide where those things go. If I don’t have a spot for something then maybe that means it should be re-homed- (wish me luck on the rehoming bit- I always have difficulty parting with things that “might be useful some day”).

Rob

craftiladi 09-27-2020 05:53 AM

Everyone has been busy. Never thought I would love a design wall until I put one up, now I am not sure how I ever lived without it, lol. Rob, I am really good at purging & tossing every room except my sewing room, especially fabric. Good Luck.

Julienm1 09-27-2020 06:29 AM

Just found out I can make three, yes three, little girl quilts. Found pic on Pintrest and thank heavens I sorted all my HSQ and 2.5" squares. Just make zig zag rows and arrange HST to make a heart some where, where ever and call it done. Sorry the pic
is so big.https://i.pinimg.com/originals/01/02...0b12bbe78b.jpg

oksewglad 09-27-2020 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 8420804)
Just found out I can make three, yes three, little girl quilts. Found pic on Pintrest and thank heavens I sorted all my HSQ and 2.5" squares. Just make zig zag rows and arrange HST to make a heart some where, where ever and call it done. Sorry the pic
is so big.https://i.pinimg.com/originals/01/02...0b12bbe78b.jpg

This is cute...finished size 48" Square?

Julienm1 09-27-2020 09:59 AM

OK... you can make it as large/small as you want. I just start sewing and see where I end up. Kinda like a road trip with a map...lol

rryder 09-28-2020 05:51 AM

Cute pattern Julienm1. Makes me want to hit my scrap drawers.

Yesterday I managed to find places for everything in those boxes. It's amazing what taking several years to chip away at the disorganization and clutter in my multi-purpose studio has accomplished. Now the big thing in that room is keeping it organized and clutter free. I still have some clutter in the area where I store easels and keep buckets to dump my dirty water in after cleaning brushes, but that helps keep my dog from drinking the water out of the buckets so I'll leave it as is for now. For folks who paint using acrylics or watercolors, you might want to try this. I found out that those pigments getting washed into our water supply is a no-no. So what I do is use a big bucket to dump the water in from my brush cleanup. I then let it sit until the water evaporates away. You are left with a coating of paint skin dried on the bottom of the bucket, you can either peel that off and throw it away (apparently acrylic paint skins are safe for the landfills as they become inert once they are dry), or do as I do and just leave them in the bucket. Because I paint a lot, I have two buckets, one that I'm actively pouring paint brush cleaning water into and the other that has about several inches of water that I am leaving to evaporate. I've been doing this for the past 10 years or so and am still using the same buckets, they are holding up well and the water evaporates fairly quickly as long as I don't put more than a few inches in a bucket before giving it a chance to evaporate.

I'm taking a break from organizing today to work on some Christmas presents and my Big Butterfly UFO that I really want to finish this month.

Keep up the momentum everyone!

Rob

oksewglad 09-28-2020 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8418358)
our leader was concerned there might be a lot of fabric, etc, in our donation spot. I reminded her that church was closed still at that time so no donations could be made. 🤷‍♀️ Of course, the building is open now so I guess one of us better check the boxes. Lol!

Once they know the door is open they bring it in! I picked up a couple of boxes yesterday after church (Got caught red handed by our pastor--jeez Louise!) And there was another bag of items from the last time I was there. Stopped in today as well and brought home a couple more boxes...wondering what I got myself intohttps://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/eek.png..I will carry on.

Just in case you didn't guess...I'm organizing church fabric, in the midst of clearing out my fridge for replacement tomorrow...Lucky we can get one delivered so quickly.