Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

Julienm1 10-18-2020 10:14 AM

Finished the 4 lap quilts, 3 totes, and 6 doll quilts today. DH is packing up the box to go to WI on Monday. Used lots of charms and scraps to make the quilts so today I think I'll organize my charms. Today is a good day to work since I decided it's a pajama day.
Edit: Changed my mind and will organize my batiks instead. No idea what I have so may feel like my birthday..lol

Panchita 10-18-2020 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8425590)
Panchita, I have organized by color and, on a whim, a couple of years ago decided to organize by size...what a mental disaster for me! The first thing I look for is color and then see if I have enough of it, so trying to find by color in a sized organization system was too time consuming and frustrating. So I'm back to color organization other than "specialty" fabrics.

Well, we'll see how this goes. I will need to go through again box by box to neaten up the fabric, since it rather turned into fling/squish the fabric into the relevant box by the end of it, but it didn't really take long. And I found some fabulous fabric to work with, lol https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png. I'm feeling enthused, so hopefully it'll work as well for me as it has for oksewglad!

retiredteacher09 10-18-2020 04:37 PM

Julie: Congratulations on finishing those projects! The recipients are going to be thrilled. I was thinking I need to sort batiks too and start using them in projects.

Panchita: It’s fun to find fabulous fabric to work with during a big sorting project. It’s a definite plus to finishing the task.

Teen 10-19-2020 06:12 PM

I’m seriously proud and envious of everyone’s motivation to organizing. When I moved into my new home, one of the things I kept putting off unpacking was framed family pictures. I wasn’t sure how I wanted to display pictures...I knew I would be buying to frames but I hadn’t decided beyond that. So, hubbie carried the box into the house from workshop and I have started the process of,sorting and deciding etc. I have a large family of siblings and gazillion nieces and nephews, great nieces/nephews etc. This is my Winter project..

Julienm1 10-19-2020 06:21 PM

Busy day for me. Dug thru two containers looking for batik fabric. Got sidetracked Sunday and never played with batiks. Oh they are so pretty. Ordered pattern for step-daughter's quilt she wants. Have focus fabric that she likes and even found accent fabric too.

Sent box to WI.

Ordered more batik fabric for our quilt.

Cut apart pinwheel blocks to make another scrappy quilt for Amy's puppy when she lays on the sofa the puppy not Amy...lol. Going to try my hand at QAYG with this project.

Decided to do early voting.

Resewed the HST a different way. Now they look like square in a square and I like that better than pinwheels.

Organized the small armour filled with precuts. Now I know what's in there. Cleared off the table in the fabric room. It had turned into another landing pad.

Done. Time to get ready for bed.

OH...second container had only 4 things in it and not related to sewing. Who would have put that in my sewing room?

amyjo 10-19-2020 09:22 PM

Rearranging fabric storage

Today I started the packing and moving of fabric out of two bookshelves that I’m having my dear grandson move and put together with two other bookshelves to make more room in my space. I’m making them into 24” deep shelves versus the 11” I had before. Now I will have room to move my table on wheels that has pullout drawers to a new space and also my large cutting table to a new space and can hopefully have it opened up for use. I will then have more space to turn my large swing machine cabinet that will hold my janome horizon 15000. Boy tomorrow more of the same. Grandson coming Wednesday afternoon schools out for two days, but he’s doing my shelves and then head off the grand forks to visit his older brother. More changing in the future once this is done as I have fabric I’m donating to my church ladies and I will also have fabric for my two sisters to choose from when they come to visit.

Julienm1 10-21-2020 08:09 AM

Yesterday I discovered a corner of the sewing room that needed attention. Found sheets suitable for backing, batting pieces large enough to fuse and be usable, sweatshirt (no idea why this was in the sewing room), pretty fabric...I'll just stop there.

Today using up fabric to make 3 dog quilts to be used when the dogs nap on Mom and Dad's sofa...lol I enjoy sewing HST to make square in a square blocks. Design wall in looking really colorful!

retiredteacher09 10-23-2020 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally sorted through the bags and the box of fabric that the church quilting group thought I would use. They give me fabric that is usually smaller than 6”. but I also get fabric that they don’t know what should be done with it. Lol!

I sorted through several of the bags and put the pieces in color piles. Most of the fabric was kept but some was put in my ‘toss bag’ because of quality. But to my surprise and delight, there was a collection of fabrics together in the bottom of one of the bags. Different design companies and some fabric strips that look and feel like leather, but they aren’t, along with shimmery batiks, mottled blues, etc. There was also yardage. I included the picture below.

The box had some rolls of large lace and lots and lots of large QSTs that I’m assuming were for setting triangles. Some was usable fabric which I will keep but other fabrics were a very rough linen type so that went into a thrift store donation box. Now to put it all away.

retiredteacher09 10-23-2020 04:20 PM

Teen: Good luck with going through your pictures. I need to get back to my sorting of pictures/memorabilia.

Juliemn1: Isn’t it amazing what we find in our sewing areas? Sounds like you are making good progress on organizing your fabric and using it.

amyjo: Great idea putting 2 shelves together that way. I hope your grandson missed the bad weather.

Teen 10-23-2020 04:43 PM

Retiredteach... that looks like a great find based on the picture. That whole pile would make an awesome scrappy...they all blend so well together..

amyjo....your organizing is really opening up space for you. That’s so great!

julie....share picture of design wall. I love me some color!!