Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

rryder 01-13-2020 03:41 AM

My organization plan for today is to document my four most recent finishes- something that I seem to be good at putting on the back burner. I have a fairly simple format for doing this so it’s not difficult and I’m really not sure why I always put it off...

What are the easy organizing things that you put off doing?

Rob

jmoore 01-13-2020 04:17 AM

Oksewglad, thank you for reposting your scrappy quilt projects...what a great use for odd size pieces.

Rob, how wonderful you found your FMQ foot. I once misplaced my single stitch plate but was not as lucky in finding it...or maybe just impatient so now I have two. LOL

Since my favorite machine is in for maintenance until next Sunday, I am not able to work on BH’s mystery but I have been busy organizing and decluttering. Over the weekend I purchased an Elfa storage system for a section in my sewing room. This new shelving unit replaced a gate leg table where my printer and WiFi router sat. Now I have four adjustable 3 foot shelves...and Wow what a difference. It’s amazing how one simple project can generate a domino effect of organizing.

SusieQOH 01-13-2020 04:25 AM

My sewing room is a disaster since I started the BH mystery quilt! I'm at the "I can't find anything" stage so a cleanup is in store for me.
I always look for someone to blame my messiness on haha

ckcowl 01-13-2020 05:41 AM

I managed to get a 7 foot book shelf unit cleaned out and organized, found I had 3 ( free) shelves and decided to place kits and projects I’m going to be working on on those shelves. I have a few UFOs that are now on those shelves, kits that were gifts, won or BOMs I never finished all in one place, when I pull one out I’m working on it to completion ( at least to binding stage) before grabbing the next one.
so now I have managed to Declutter and organize 2 of my 3 bookshelf units. I have 3 large boxes of ( stuff) packed up to pass on, donate somewhere. The fabrics have me quite overwhelmed- that’s why I started with the books/ magazines/ patterns. At some point I am going to have to venture to the other end of the room...;)

zozee 01-13-2020 06:25 AM

It’s not much, but it is a start to declutter my sewing room: purged a 2 gallon ziplock bag’s worth of fabric from my fabric dresser.

Then I tidied the rest, folding them and filing them, front to back in ROYGBIV order.

Notwendy 01-13-2020 07:37 AM

My sewing area is a part of the kitchen though I seem to have a manifest destiny issue - I tend to spread out and take over the kitchen. Good thing neither of us cooks. : ) For the first 5 of the 7 years we've lived in our current place, we had a bookcase where a stove was supposed to go. Much more useful.

The massive kitchen island is referred to as The Thing (very original, I know). I moved all the fabric off of it and either put it away (gasp!) or separated them by stage of completion (so far I have 5 that need sandwiching & binding, 5 that have all the blocks pieced but need putting together, 3 that need a few more blocks, 4 that are at the fabric pull/pattern stage).

Granted, all of these projects are back on The Thing, but at least they are no longer in one giant pile o'fabric. I feel accomplished about organizing the stuff cluttering The Thing, until I think about all the other projects I have in some stage of production that I've shoved in drawers during quick clean ups when the kitchen actually sees some use.

Ha! It is probably good that I don't have an actual room or closet to use - lord knows what I'd squirrel away with more space.

But, all said, it is a start on getting things more organized so I can work on a project without having to relocate a dozen more.

Teen 01-13-2020 05:49 PM

LOL @Notwendy ...Oh my gosh..."The thing" and shelf in place of stove is hilarious! I'm trying to get a visual of this and it is just not possible. Lol... I need this laughter cuz tonight I mis-cut backing so now I'm irritated and blaming hubbie cuz he talked to me while I was cutting. Lol..

So, instead of sewing, I organized my desk by filing more 2019 stuff for taxes, shredded stuff, and completed my "state of our union" end of year report for hubbie. All good now and will tackle my mess-up tomorrow..

rryder 01-14-2020 08:44 AM

LOL Notwendy! We have “the red thing” in our dining room. It’s a repurposed antique chest of drawers that someone painted red years ago and then dumped at a thrift store where I found and adopted it sometime back in the 1980s. Never got around to stripping the red paint off. It houses all kinds of useful things on top and in its drawers and has been known affectionately as “the red thing” since the day it came home with me.

Teen-End of year shredfest and pre-tax prep are on my to do list for the near future. It’s not the most exciting thing in the world, but there is something satisfying about watching a pile of old papers get turned into confetti!

Today I am planning on a long quilting session on a UFO that I am using as a sampler for quilting designs. I’ll Hit a clutter hotspot every time I need to take a break from quilting.

Rob

Teen 01-15-2020 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut up more scraps today and then cleaned the sewing studio to get it ready for the next project. Feels wonderful to have everything in its place.

I'm trying to be very mindful and minimal with wall decor in my house (except sewing studio...lol...). My entryway is decorated with my love of color wheels so it is bright and colorful. Here is the barn quilt I made over the summer for the large bulkhead you see when you walk in the door. We finally hung it today....I love it... Waiting for better weather to hang the exterior barn quilt I made for garage... Anywhoo...thought you might like to see my efforts. Pictures of sewing studio to come soon. Still waiting on custom workstation. Carpenter has me on his schedule for February...

Rhonda K 01-15-2020 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scraps in a bag and ready to go to charity sewing tomorrow. These came home today. Already ruler folded and on the shelf in the right place.

The black print will be a bag for my DD. She is a marine science/biology teacher and it will be a school bag for her.