Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What's a Girl To Do With Her Magazines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/whats-girl-do-her-magazines-t204767.html)

toodie11 11-02-2012 05:17 PM

I scanned the articles and patterns that I wanted to keep and cleared many shelves in my sewing room. I give the old mag. to the quilters guild.It took a lot of time but now I scan as I get the magazines. So nice to have hundreds of patterns on a flash drive , I can run through them really fast if I am looking for something,(I filed mine by catagory- Bed, table, wall hanging, blocks etc)

HilaryK8 11-03-2012 08:43 AM

I rip out my favorite articles/ patterns and put them in a sheet protector. Now I just have two binders on a shelf instead of boxes and boxes of magazines.

nannyrick 11-03-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Micki922 (Post 5626297)
I remove what I want from the magazine, put in plastic page protector and keep in 3ring binder. This has cut down on the am't of paper I have to store

What a great idea. Thanks.

Bluelady 11-03-2012 11:36 AM

I have a lot of old ones also. Right now they are piling up on my book shelf. I will either sell them or use them as RAKs.

Essiescott 11-03-2012 04:23 PM

Have you thought of scanning the articles that you want to keep? If you have a scanner for your computer you could save them there--or even on disc such as a DVD in PDF form, then you would have them---yet without all of the clutter. I have started doing this for all kinds of items, such as magazine articles, even owners manuals. Sure is nice to know where they are---and not have to hunt for it---and yes I do make more than one copy---and put it in a safe place--like a copy on my machine, and one on my husbands, and even if it is important documents---take it to the bank safety deposit box. Just a thought.

llweezie 11-10-2012 06:51 AM

Our library has a book sale every year in the fall, and you can donate magazines as well as books. I went and there were a lot of Quilting books, and magazines, I had a great time picking some out... It is a great way to share, donate to your library and still decluter your space...

jackied 11-17-2012 01:05 PM

I do what Micki does. At first it about killed me to cut up my magazines but I had way too many. I've turned years of magazines into 5 thick 3 ring binders. I put a sheet of plain paper in each sleeve then put a pattern including instructions and pattern pieces on each side of the paper, thus, 2 patterns to a page. I only kept ones I thought I 'might' make someday. Magazines I didn't cut up I passed on to other quilters. I magazines back to 1972. Remember "Stich and Sew"? I had some of them. I also have over 120 hardback books so I have all the patterns I could ever make!

Northcoast Bev 11-19-2012 02:18 PM

I've been purging my old quilting magazines and have found that I tear patterns I want to keep most often from the pages of Fons 'n Porter issues.

RkayD 11-20-2012 07:16 PM

Last week I went thru all my magazines. I had some going back to 1992 and some that were given to me from 1982. My how things have changed! =) I took out what I wanted and put them in page protectors and tossed the rest. I did find out that the most magazine for the money is Fon's & Porter's Love of Quilting. I never would have realized that if I hadn't sat down and looked at each and every one. =) I went from 3 shelves on my bookcases to one plastic box.

judytudy 11-22-2012 06:46 AM

I make a copy of the articles an helpful information I want and keep them in a binder.
The patterns I want are also copied and placed in a plastic sleeves and put in another binder.