Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   When February Comes... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/when-february-comes-t239623.html)

SuzzyQ 01-25-2014 02:15 PM

When February Comes...

I informed DH that WE would be re-working my sewing room since I need to go through and search for a baby quilt top I was asked to quilt. NOW I can't find it so it's a last ditch attempt before I go and confess.
So I'm thinking to flip the countertop sewing area to the opposite corner, cut the cutting table down by half and put it on the opposite wall with shelving for totes underneath and set back about 6 inches. Then Next to the door (where I sew now) some sort of cabinet/shelf area for the medium size totes and put a big ironing area there. Planning to dispose/move out the smaller shelf unit (with the drawers on the bottom).
Maybe I'll splurge and even repaint.
Pictures to follow

SuzzyQ 01-25-2014 02:24 PM

Pictures from right now

3 Attachment(s)
I want to cut down the cutting table because I only use the 24 x 36 mat and use the rest for "piling" - then I think it will fit between the bigger shelving units and the window. Not sure where the sewing machine will go.
Putting the countertop in the corner where the cutting table is will open up the area for the heat register. Maybe that will make DH happy.
Still thinking on this because there may be an issue with the electrical outlets. And need a light source.

Tartan 01-25-2014 02:49 PM

Rather than cutting the table, I think I would cut a piece of plywood to fit on the end of the table where the smaller matt is, and cover it for a handy ironing surface. Then you could do most of your ironing there without having to get the ironing board down. I would put a whole row of the blue basket containers along the wall on the table. They would be great for putting your UFO's in so you have them handy to work on.
Does the desk have a machine that you use in it? I would pull it out and you can then move the big cupboard right up to the window. You could move the desk against the wall beside the door where you could use it as a desk when the door is closed.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

SuzzyQ 01-25-2014 03:42 PM

Will think on this. I'm finding that the cutting board (an old drafting table) is rather tippy and think I might have better luck getting DH to built me some shelves underneath. We shall see.
The old sewing machine in the cabinet is my grandmother's. I learned to sew on it so it has a place in my heart - but I like the Pfaff 1222 and I have 4 Featherweights (2-221 & 2-222) and a 99K. and a Janome 4800. Thinking to put Miss Clara out in the hall for special uses - quilting, working on small projects

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6534524)
Rather than cutting the table, I think I would cut a piece of plywood to fit on the end of the table where the smaller matt is, and cover it for a handy ironing surface. Then you could do most of your ironing there without having to get the ironing board down. I would put a whole row of the blue basket containers along the wall on the table. They would be great for putting your UFO's in so you have them handy to work on.
Does the desk have a machine that you use in it? I would pull it out and you can then move the big cupboard right up to the window. You could move the desk against the wall beside the door where you could use it as a desk when the door is closed.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jingle 01-25-2014 06:09 PM

I would hunt for that quilt long before I would wait to redo the room. If you found it you could have it finished long before you started on the room. Then you can concentrate on just your room.

NJ Quilter 01-25-2014 06:25 PM

I, too, use half my cutting table as an ironing surface and find it works well. I do have it in the middle of the room though, not against a wall. Understand I have a small room - 8-10 - that doubles as a guest room, sort of (we don't have that many guests but have a futon & other furniture besides sewing stuff in there). I find having the cutting/ironing surface in the middle of the room, somewhat cumbersome but very advantageous as well. I can cut from either side of the table when I have large pieces to deal with (yardage) and when ironing yardage have more room to work as well. Just a thought. And no clue what kind of space you're dealing with.

mighty 01-25-2014 09:26 PM

I really think I would find the quilt first finish it and then redo the room.

SuzzyQ 01-26-2014 07:55 AM

I have hunted - clearing out the room is my last ditch attempt

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6534853)
I would hunt for that quilt long before I would wait to redo the room. If you found it you could have it finished long before you started on the room. Then you can concentrate on just your room.

crafterrn1 01-26-2014 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pattern for your Hubby!
http://organizeyourstuffnow.com/word...pensive-pieces
This would work well and I like the cubby Idea. I use the Ikea bookshelves and an Ikea Island for my cutting table. Luann

Cagey 01-26-2014 10:21 AM

I'll bet you find it - I can only imagine what I would find in my house if each room were cleaned out. Maybe some day when we move - either south or to a retirement home.