Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sewing room furniture

Marion, I've seen Ikea things on some blogs I follow and they make some fantastic sewing room hacks! I agree that you should look.
    I'm not certain but I think either Sherry McConnell or Beverly McCullough showed their sewing rooms (to die for) that had Ikea things.

I was up until midnight planning it all out - took all my measurements of the room and turns out the dreambox won't fit hahahahahaha so the jokes on me, and makes it that much easier! So Ikea it is!

I do have it all planned out tho!

sewing room plan.pdf

The bulk head is of course on the ceiling so while it looks like its taking up room it won't!

And everything is from Ikea!

It looks great! You are wise to use up all the wall space. Please show us when you have them installed.

Are you planning to store fabric in them? I am considering using them for folded fabric storage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
    oh dear.....I am offering a hack! But it is a brilliant one....at least I think so....I bought a lawyers bookcase...you know...one with the extra deep shelves and glass doors that flip down. I love it and I would think it better serves my use than stuffed with large oversized books.....I take my yardage leave it folded like it comes of the bolt and wrap anything between 1-2 yards around a 24 x 6 inch ruler and then fold it in half, I take anything between 2 and 3-4 yards and wrap it around my 8.5 x 24 inch ruler and fold it in half. Then I stack them on the shelves with the short folds out....I can tell at a glance what is in my stash and the approximate size of it. On the bottom shelve I do have some larger cuts of fabric stacked for backings and two cloth boxes for my wool. The glass doors cover the fabric to keep dust out and I have the bookcases against the south interior wall so the sun never shines on it....yeah....I love this hack....one of the best things I bought. It is sturdy and was half price. The movers had a challenge fiting it through the door of my small bedroom turned sewing room....
    I was lucky enough to receive a bookcase like yours. It's called a Barister bookcase and mine is from our capital building after they remodeled to more modern furniture. Each shelf is stackable onto the next one so mine sounds a bit different then yours. I received 8 shelves so it stacks 8ft with a footer and header. I collect antiques so this was perfect for my new sewing room. I plan on using it for fabric and pattern books since the glass protects it. I love it and can't wait to fill it up..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    I'm looking for something like this:

https://www.theoriginalscrapbox.com/products/dreambox
    Their showroom is in Utah and,mwhen we moved to Idaho, on our drive to our new home, we stopped and looked at these. They are quality built and really nice. Costly and unfortunately it won't work in my studio but I considered these, too. They have a model specifically for quilting....

I'm having my sewing studio furniture custom built because I have large windows that go to about 18" from the floor....It's been a challenge finding stuff so I'm relenting and customizing.
    Last edited by Teen; 10-19-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
    Hubby and I started putting my Kangaroo sewing cabinet together yesterday. I bought it in May 2017 when Arrow was having a sale for cabinets that were missing a Joey to go with it. Got it for $400 with free shipping and put in storage until yesterday (hubby had just had back surgery when I bought). Finally getting it put together, can't wait for it to be finished.
    I was lucky enough to get in on that deal back in 2017 too and I love my cabinet.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    It looks great! You are wise to use up all the wall space. Please show us when you have them installed.

Are you planning to store fabric in them? I am considering using them for folded fabric storage.
    I will be storing all of my craft items in there! Fabric, glass etching stuff, yard, etc.

This is actually a huge room (it's half my basement) but the other half of this room belongs to my parrot LOL Thus the curtain - it's a sheer curtain so she can see me when I don't want her in the room (i.e. when I'm pinning stuff because she'll take off with the pins). But when I'm sewing or cutting or ironing she can come in.

She is one of the main reasons I want door on everything LOL ... right now everything is exposed on the wall so she can land on it and have fun (in her world, not mine!)

I'll get before and after pics up for sure!

It has certainly been frustrating to find what I want and realize it won't fit in the room! I am very glad Ikea is so close to me LOL

It has certainly been frustrating to find what I want and realize it won't fit in the room! I am very glad Ikea is so close to me LOL
    Frustrating yes, but the work you put into it now will make you one happy quilter and crafter for many years to come, and with no regrets, knowing you have exactly what you want!

You've got a lot of good thought in your plan already.
    Now, start mentally working in your new room, every time you do any of your assorted crafts.
    Eg. When you reach for your rulers, or put them away, think where they will be. Etc. Etc.
    For your different interests, check to see if everything flows right when you are focused on each.
    As you go along, you will start to see any of the hitches, in the master plan and can perfect it even more.

With your need to close things up for Missy Parrot, have you considered large sliding doors?
    If you put some large ones down the length, then you could have them stack all together, so only the width of one would cover things when you are open for business!! Some have used the sliders as bonus design walls too.

Instead of the curtain, what about a screen door? Could be a charming touch!

Happy Planning!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

do you have a pic?

to anyone else ... if you have a pick of a "hack" ... please post! I just don't want to spend days trying to get "something" to work. I would rather pay money for something that I can put together (or give to my dad to put together lol)

thanks!
    click on the words this one in her post, there is a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
    But I have to ask - what is "Crokinole"? Even after I clicked on it, I still couldn't figure out what it was.
    It's a game played on an octagonal wooden board that has pegs around it in various places. Each player has coloured rounds of wood that you send across the board in turns, trying to land yours as close to the centre hole as possible, while dislodging those of your opponent - think of the board as like the "end" of a curling rink...except you place opposite to each other.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    With your need to close things up for Missy Parrot, have you considered large sliding doors?
    If you put some large ones down the length, then you could have them stack all together, so only the width of one would cover things when you are open for business!! Some have used the sliders as bonus design walls too.

Instead of the curtain, what about a screen door? Could be a charming touch!

Happy Planning!
    It's a fabulous idea, but not feasible with my parrot - two reasons - 1 - she would fly into it, which would be bad because she could hurt herself. 2 - she would chew it! Especially if I am not there to stop her! And then, she would have access hahahaha

The good thing about the sheer curtain is that she can see me and we can talk back and forth. Unless I'm pinning something, the curtain is open while I am in the room.

If I am not home, she has yet to try and go through the curtain to get into the room. A door would just be something for her to chew on! And while she's not a macaw, she can still do a fair amount of damage (especially since she's not caged when I'm at work!)

Nice space for your stash/es?.......
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I have Kallax units all along one wall, I bought the doors and the pinboard doors for most of it, keeps fabric and bits and pieces tidy and out of the way, the pinboard doos are great for hanging small rulers and rotary cutters. On another wall I have the wall mounted magazine rack, I keep long rulers and cutting mats for my Go on there. I got a joiner to build me wall to wall storage with mirror sliding doors on the opposite wall to the Kallax, and keep other stuff in there.

Teen, I love your Barrister bookcase, as in my opinion, it will be perfect for fabric. Thanks for sharing.
    Karen

Great question. You may want to get something you can add to over time.

For storage, I have four Ikea Billy Bookcases with doors on them. The doors have clear glass on the top half. They were simple to put together. They hold a lot of fabric etc. They can handle a lot of weight. I also use industrial baking racks. Amazon has shelf liners for these too. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
    I went to the Eddycrest site and his pieces are beautiful. But I have to ask - what is "Crokinole"? Even after I clicked on it, I still couldn't figure out what it was.

Crokinole is a board game....in a lot of pubs.

https://www.gamesoftradition.com/crokinole-rules/

images of Crokinole boards:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+Cr...ages&ia=images

It is important to get furniture and storage that works for you. Some people like a large cutting area. Some are fine with a 18 x 24 mat space. It depends on the kind of quilting you do and how often you are working on projects. Good luck in your search and I hope you find the combination that makes the whole experience of quilting more enjoyable.

I love this idea for a couple of reasons. First, I love those lawyers bookcases. They are so cool looking. The second is you can display your fabric safely and it looks fantastic. Such a great decorative but functional piece. I've seen photos of people displaying their quilts in glass front pieces. I'd love to get my hands on one of these bookcases. Well done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2