Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
sewing room furniture >

sewing room furniture

sewing room furniture

Old 10-18-2019, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Some of those hacks actually are quite well thought out. DH and I made this one for my sewing room.
I love this!!!
Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 AM

I went to the Eddycrest site and his pieces are beautiful. But I have to ask - what is "Crokinole"? Even after I clicked on it, I still couldn't figure out what it was.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 AM

Hubby and I started putting my Kangaroo sewing cabinet together yesterday. I bought it in May 2017 when Arrow was having a sale for cabinets that were missing a Joey to go with it. Got it for $400 with free shipping and put in storage until yesterday (hubby had just had back surgery when I bought). Finally getting it put together, can't wait for it to be finished.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 AM

I also have a kangaroo sewing cabinet n a larger koala sewing cabinet. The larger one I use as my cutting station with a large Martelli’s cutting mat left set up on it. The smaller I use to sew on. I also have a dingo cabinet n a Joey cabinet. Those two I purchased from a nearby lady for $200. I have the Brother Innovis 3000 that I sew with. My big machine will be set up on the dingo cabinet when I get it moved out into the studio I use large bookcases to hold my stay on magazine boards. Yes I worked n saved my money n got bargains by buying from ladies who were changing the direction of their sewing
Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 AM

it's going to take a ton of planning LOL I don't want "low" furniture cabinets. I want a full wall of storage. I don't just have quilting stuff that will go in there either. I do glass etching as well, so will want those supplies in there. I also knit and crochet so want those supplies in there too. I basically want all of my craft supplies in one spot.

I looked at the Eddiecrest site, and they don't have what I am looking for, which is too bad, because it's somewhat local and would be much cheaper to ship.

I've printed the layout of the dreambox and am going to visit Ikea (I can walk there) and see if I can find stuff that would work.

The other thing I have to keep in mind is that the dreambox comes with all the accessories, and if I go the Ikea route, I have to buy all of those accessories because I don't have all those storage bins LOL

Decisions, planning LOL ... this is why I am starting now ... nothing will happen til January!
Old 10-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Marion, I've seen Ikea things on some blogs I follow and they make some fantastic sewing room hacks! I agree that you should look.
I'm not certain but I think either Sherry McConnell or Beverly McCullough showed their sewing rooms (to die for) that had Ikea things.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:10 AM

I was up until midnight planning it all out - took all my measurements of the room and turns out the dreambox won't fit hahahahahaha so the jokes on me, and makes it that much easier! So Ikea it is!

I do have it all planned out tho!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618729[/ATTACH]

The bulk head is of course on the ceiling so while it looks like its taking up room it won't!

And everything is from Ikea!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sewing room plan.pdf (81.6 KB, 230 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:18 AM

It looks great! You are wise to use up all the wall space. Please show us when you have them installed.

Are you planning to store fabric in them? I am considering using them for folded fabric storage.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
oh dear.....I am offering a hack! But it is a brilliant one....at least I think so....I bought a lawyers bookcase...you know...one with the extra deep shelves and glass doors that flip down. I love it and I would think it better serves my use than stuffed with large oversized books.....I take my yardage leave it folded like it comes of the bolt and wrap anything between 1-2 yards around a 24 x 6 inch ruler and then fold it in half, I take anything between 2 and 3-4 yards and wrap it around my 8.5 x 24 inch ruler and fold it in half. Then I stack them on the shelves with the short folds out....I can tell at a glance what is in my stash and the approximate size of it. On the bottom shelve I do have some larger cuts of fabric stacked for backings and two cloth boxes for my wool. The glass doors cover the fabric to keep dust out and I have the bookcases against the south interior wall so the sun never shines on it....yeah....I love this hack....one of the best things I bought. It is sturdy and was half price. The movers had a challenge fiting it through the door of my small bedroom turned sewing room....
I was lucky enough to receive a bookcase like yours. It's called a Barister bookcase and mine is from our capital building after they remodeled to more modern furniture. Each shelf is stackable onto the next one so mine sounds a bit different then yours. I received 8 shelves so it stacks 8ft with a footer and header. I collect antiques so this was perfect for my new sewing room. I plan on using it for fabric and pattern books since the glass protects it. I love it and can't wait to fill it up..
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I'm looking for something like this:

https://www.theoriginalscrapbox.com/products/dreambox
Their showroom is in Utah and,mwhen we moved to Idaho, on our drive to our new home, we stopped and looked at these. They are quality built and really nice. Costly and unfortunately it won't work in my studio but I considered these, too. They have a model specifically for quilting....

I'm having my sewing studio furniture custom built because I have large windows that go to about 18" from the floor....It's been a challenge finding stuff so I'm relenting and customizing.

Last edited by Teen; 10-19-2019 at 09:53 AM.