Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon >

Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon

Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon

Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 AM

My sewing cave has been in the basement of my home for over 17 years now without a problem. I got moved to the basement when we found out we were having our son. When we first moved in we didn't use a dehumidifier and had problems with stuff, so we have run a dehumidifier in the basement in an on 4 hours off 4 hours ever since. I keep two computerized machines, books, fabric, yarn and lots of important stuff with no problem.
I refer to it as my sewing cave and keep teasing my son and telling him that I expect to get that sewing room back soon so he better plan on college and not coming back because I am laying claim to that territory.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations Krystyna. It's been a long journey for you. Have fun in the new house.Hugs Mary
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM

My DH is from CT so I know what you mean by the dehumidifier - but here in Colorado we Humidify!! My DMIL kept her dehumidifier going all the time and she kept all her fabric in the lowest level with no problems - what a seamstress she was!!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 AM

My room is in the basement as well. Love it cuz I only clean it when I want to. Cement floors make it easy to pick up and find pins, etc. Only wish I had more natural light. I love being able to spread out and not worry about interfering with someone else's space. Congratulations.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

I've had my sewing in the basement for years. No problem. We do heat and cool it though.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Krystana , sooooo glad to hear that you are getting a house....Prayers are ansered in due time Your own sewing room is a BIG DEA. Take all he basement and set It up like you want it. You have been missed on his board ! Hugs,Charlene
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 AM

Check the old treadle for rust to see if your machines would be safe in that atmosphere.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Congrats on the new house and "new home"! I moved my sewing to the basement a year ago, and really enjoy it. I do keep the dehumidifier on for most of the year. My hubby installed two more ceiling fixtures for lighting and cut two vents into the duct work, so it is much more comfortable to sew. It's nice and cool in the summer, too. So far, with the dehumidifier running I have not had any problems with an off-smell down there. The fabric smells just fine as well. You will enjoy the ability to turn the lights off at the end of the day, and be able to leave things just as they are!
I have since set up a small table and extra machine upstairs in the living room so I can sew something while spending time with my hubby in the evenings. It does mean that corner gets tidied up at night, he's more of a neat-nick than I am.
Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 PM

My studio is in my unfinished basement and i have never had an issue with my fabrics which are in open canvas bins so I can easily see what I have. We too have a dehumidifier and I have several pieces of my work hanging and no issues. Lucky you for the bonus treadle sewing machine.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Krystana, Glad things are looking up!
The basement should be fine with a dehumidifier. BUT, make sure you don't store any fabrics on the bottom shelf. I have a good friend that lost bolts of fabric this past summer with flooding in her basement. She never flooded before. I would recommend a laundry basket on bottom shelf for scraps.
Perhaps find out if you should invest in flood control.