Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What color do I paint my sewing room

What color do I paint my sewing room

My DH and I are redoing my sewing room from the bottom up. New floors, new shelves, new tables, etc.
    My room is pretty dark, little natural light. He'll put in lighting for me. I'm not sure what will be the best color for the walls.
    Any suggestions?
    Donna in Bellevue

Blog Entries
    White. Then you can put yor quilts on the walls for deco.
    You can put a nice rack on the wall for threads.
    hang a small design wall and put your current block on it,
    so you don't sew it wrong.
    I have a color copy on my wall that has frequently asked?
    and things like how many blocks a certain size you can get on a fat quartee.
    have fu.

If not white, then take your favorite color and get the palest of pale hue to put on the walls. You want to enjoy your remodeled sewing room and color is a great way to make it yours.
    ...cuz I said sew! www.sallysaw.blogspot.com

You can custom mix your paint. Maybe a white base with a quarter strength of your favourite pick of the colour chart. Must admit though, there's nothing like white to lighten a room.

Blue Tequilla by Behr

I like a soft yellow. Very pleasing and sunny.

I like a color called linen( sherman williams) . Its an off white with just a tiny hint of yellow. It makes the room look like it is lit up. Don't forget to get the whitest white for the ceiling , to reflect as much light as possible.
    There is nothing like painting a room to give a fresh start. Love to see pictures when you are done.

Banned
    Personally, I love color on walls. The crazier the better and 2 colors in the same room are better than 1. My sewing room has 2 bright orange walls and 2 lighter orange. Get some samples of different colors, they come in small jars, and try them out on your walls. Go a little crazy -- It's your cave!

I have a silver color on my walls its called aluminum. Works great with any item I choose to decorate coordinate colors White is good also then take off with your accents
    Gods Blessings
    Happy Quilting

Whatever it is that "inspires" you....you need to love it want to spend time in there! If you are not sure bring homes those little testers and paint a couple different patches! Good luck...happy renoes!

I am surprised how often this question appears here. Choose whatever color you love! There is no wrong answer, and there is no right answer! Go see all the glorious colors at your local hardware store/ home decorating store.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Pale yellow, yellow just always seems so cheerful !
    Amythyst

a nice buttery yellow. is nice. but what ever you choose. is the best for you. it is your sewing room..

Oh, I like this idea. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
    Personally, I love color on walls. The crazier the better and 2 colors in the same room are better than 1. My sewing room has 2 bright orange walls and 2 lighter orange. Get some samples of different colors, they come in small jars, and try them out on your walls. Go a little crazy -- It's your cave!

Blog Entries
    Lots of grey there (ask me how I know). I'd go for a very, very pale yellow...as a reminder of sunshine for those dark, dreary months.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar

Wink

I loved white, till I lived with white walls for 20 years. Now I need some color so I decided on a neutral khaki color for the studio. I haven't regretted one drop of color and the only decorations are my quilts. They've told me that they are very happy on the studio walls and take turns coming out to play. ;-)

I just painted my sewing room "Melted Butter" from Home Depot... I really love it...but then I like yellow...

room was"Sponge Bob Sandy Beach" before... I took over our daughter's room...The new paint made such an improvement in this room - I love working in there.
    Good Luck with your decision on paint color.
    Judy in Phx, AZ

I think you should go look and see what inspires you! It's yours if you want calm fine, if you want go wild, do it and enjoy it. I personally have almost different color walls in every room of my house. Getting ready to paint in my scrap booking / mid-arm quilting room. My other sewing / craft room has 2 walls that are lavender and 2 walls are a kinds a tan/creamy looking color with a hint of yellow. I have to say my DH made shelves for the beige/tan/ beige wall to put my collection of toy sewing machines and they look great against that wall as a back drop!....
    Just remember it's yours go with what YOU want and have fun!....
    Good Luck and Happy Painting,
    Penny aka Country1
    P.S. Sounds like your DH is a keeper too! Mine says "When and what do you want?"
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    I am a retired painter. What ever color you decide on its the type of paint that is more important. Use a Satin or Eggshell finish.The reasons are-1-it reflects light -2-they are wipable with a damp rag -3- if you have to touch up scuff marks etc.several months later it will not show. NEVER use gloss paint on interior walls -it absorbs light and you will have to add more lighting to you room. Also stay as light in color as possible. Have fun and enjoy the process of your new haven

You can look at this two ways. If sewing sometimes leaves you frustrated and tense, they you would want to paint the walls a calming cool color.
    If you find your sewing/quilting very relaxing and don't get up tight about your projects, then you might wish to select a warmer colors.
    When I was teaching, it was decided to paint the classrooms. We did a little research and found the a light lavender was an excellent color for the classroom because it had the calming effect but also stimulated thinking! FYI
    Karen in Kentucky

Dee
    I like white, as it doesn't take away from fabric color.

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. I've got some research to do at the paint store, for sure but it will be fun.
    Donna in Bellevue

Blog Entries
    I say go with the color you like. It's your room, after all. Congratulations on your room overhaul.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    Most paints have a reflectivity percentage listed. I was surprised to find that other colors can reflect more light than white. I used a Behr paint call Havana Cream. It is a pale yellow that really reflects light! My MIL was a "die hard" stark white fan until she saw my walls. Even my hubby, who hates yellow, loves the color. It is soft and soothing and makes the room seem as if it it filled with sunshine!
    I'm sure other pale colors will reflect as much, or more than white. Just ask the "paint guy or gal" at the store.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

If its a dark room I'd go with a nice warm yellow to brighten it up. If you choose white, I'd stay away from the gray tones and go with one that has a nice undertone of yellow in it. My entire house is painted with Filoli Antique White (but its a nice warm beige) and my quilt room has white shelves, white ceiling and trim and white cabinetry with wood floor and drapes for large window are in beige pattern. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast