Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What do you do with your incomplete fat quarters? >

What do you do with your incomplete fat quarters?

What do you do with your incomplete fat quarters?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:48 AM

Question What do you do with your incomplete fat quarters?

I'm reorganizing my fat quarters using the sizzix fat quarter wrap die. I have quite a few that I've cut into, some are probably half gone. I'm wondering if I should do something different with these since they don't wrap as well on the die cuts. What do you do with your fat quarters that aren't complete?

I thought about using Lori Holt's strip system...
Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM

If they are still big enough I leave them whole and fold and put in with my FQ's. If they are on the smaller side I cut all my scraps to either 2 1/2" strips or 5" squares. Everything else is donated to a friend for her and her mom to enjoy.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Thanks. I don't know if I want to commit to small squares but I think I might go with 5" strips. Then I can quickly cut into squares or smaller strips or if I need, say, a 5 x 10 piece, I can use it for that too. I am keeping anything that is about half of a fat quarter on the boards so far.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I buy Sterilite or Rubbermaid containers (sweater size?) and put small pieces of similar colors together - they lay flat in the box and I just dig through them as needed or wanted.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 PM

I use them up in pot holders or little change purses for the grand daughters.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:27 PM

I had containers before, but I don't have room for them anymore. I think I'm going to cut them into some kind of precut sizes and stack them neatly in drawers.

I do want to use them in projects eventually but right now I'm just trying to find out the best way to store them.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 PM

I roll each one like a diploma and tie it with a narrow strip of contrasting fabric . Then I set it upright in a pretty basket with others. The variety makes me happy and it's easy to see what I have. When the basket gets full, I make something with some of them.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I have a scrap bin that I throw all weird cuts or smaller than fat quarter pieces into. Right now I am deviding them into lights and darks and cutting 2X5 inch rectangles for Madquilters scrap quilt. I don't pre-cut strips because I like to know what I am working towards before cutting to size.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 AM

I do applique and always am looking for something for my projects. I have clear storage containers for different colors, red, blue, green, etc. Then, when I'm working on a project, I pull what I want and use it. I have a pretty big collection.

I don't cut into smaller strips or squares because I don't know what I'll want to use or what size it should be. And, I have a quilting friend that uses small scraps for dog bed fillers so if I decide I don't like some fabric and will never use it, I give it to her.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:28 AM

I have a bookshelf that I store all these small pieces and it works well for me. They are one yard or less and I store them completely by color. I personally don't want to cut them up into a certain size because then if I want them in another size, I'm done for.