Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: What are we organizing today 2019

Blog Entries
    sunrise450, you have a great start because you are starting! Nothing will get done if you don't. I'm still struggling with this, too, but I'm realizing unless I sew 24/7 for the next 30 years I won't use it all. I would love to be able to sew when I'm in my 90's, but I must be realistic. I keep a bag for giving to the local thrift shop. When some one in my guild talks about a project and needs a certain fabric...say kids fabrics or particular colors..I find the items for them and off it goes.

Ok...you are burning daylight..time to get rid of some fabric by sewing! Have a good one folks!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    I have been following this thread, I really need to downsize but it is so daunting I can't seam to get started. Yesterday I decided to start with one thing. I pick one thing to give away and one thing throw away. Surely I can handle that! If I can get into this habit then hopefully I can increase this pattern to give 2, discard 2 on up.
    What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?
    sunrise...are you referring to fabric downsizing or overall house stuff? For fabric downsizing, I went through my fabric and made quilt kits...meaning fabrics that go together that can be used for a future pattern. That helped me coordinate better. If an odd piece showed up, I'd give to the church ladies. Sometimes, I'd give them the fabric I kitted up. Then they'd have a complete coordinated stack of fabric to design a donation quilt or whatever. They love it when I show up..

For house stuff, I'll share what my mother did... I have 6 siblings...so my mom set up 7 totes..one in each color representing each kid. Then, she when she went through each room, she would place items in the the tote she wanted to gift it to. When we stopped by for a visit, we emptied it. For other stuf, she had a donation box and we'd cart that down to goodwill or target it for a garage sale.

Your idea works, too!! My recommendation is to just take a room at a time...or a closet etc. break down this huge project into several, manageable steps. You'd be amazed how fast it can go. I also filled my trunk as I decided on donation stuff. Then, when I'm out and about, I just swing by goodwill or thrift shop and empty trunk. Another words, just fit these errands into your weekly run arounds
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Your ideas sound so smart, Teen!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Great ideas, Teen!

While I wait anxiously for June 7 when we have our first meeting with the decluttered/organizer, I am continuing to try to find something every day to throw away, donate or sell.

Today I found 5 books to take across the street and place in the Little Free Library my neighbors built. I also found several older craft books to donate to a thrift store. Baby steps LOL!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Take them to a local homeless or domestic violence center. They don’t care the color if they’re still good to put on a bed. Same with sheets

Blog Entries
    They probably could use books, color books & crayons, markers & colored pencils, scissors that kids can use, pencil boxes or zipper cases. All depends on what I have n what they can use.

I have family coming this weekend, so it is time to get into the sewing/guest loft space and tidy up and get rid of some things. I hate doing it too. Why do we all find this such a chore?

The best tips that I have are:
    1. Make a small list of things to do...even if they are just tiny things...and no more than 5 or 6 chores on the list.
    2. Turn on some of your favorite music. Dance music from the early 60s works for me...Motown!
    3. Set a time for 15 minutes, start up the music and get moving.
    4. Stop at the end of 15 minutes...you're done. You are not allowed to do any more unless you really feel that you can make and fulfill the commitment to do another full 15 minutes.

I try to do this, but somehow, some way, I seem to find a way to still procrastinate. Go figger.

~ C

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11