Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What Are We Organizing Today 2023 >

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

Old 01-20-2023, 10:10 PM

I can't really offer much advice, but I do have a bin of fussy-cut pieces I use for my I Spy quilts (because I know exactly what shapes and sizes I like to work with) and I have, on occasion, just spent time cutting up fabric to increase my collection of ready-to-go pieces because it makes getting started seem so much less overwhelming.

Otherwise I tend to keep my fabric in the shape and size I found/bought/left it as I'm never quite sure what I will feel like doing the next time I need to play with fabric.

I think you've hit on something important, though - if you prefer working with smaller pieces as I understand from your comment about scrap drawers, I think your idea might be a great one and would give you a fabric collection that will work for you. Good luck! :-)

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
I need some advice. I have a very small sewing space in the corner of our bedroom. I keep it reasonably organised, and the stash is kept in another room, but am REALLY overwhelmed with all the fabric. (If I have to start over, I will not stash-build again.... but hindsight is 20/20, as they say......)
SO........ this year I need to start using yardage.... or do away with it.

My usual preference is to use my scrap-drawers (ala Bonnie Hunter) when I start a new project.
I think if I cut layer cakes, charms and jelly rolls from each fabric, I might be using it more.

Has anyone else done this? Does it work?
Old 01-21-2023, 04:12 AM

Thank you Gemm, I appreciate your thoughts on this ....it helps to hear another opinion.👍🌷💕

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
I can't really offer much advice, but I do have a bin of fussy-cut pieces I use for my I Spy quilts (because I know exactly what shapes and sizes I like to work with) and I have, on occasion, just spent time cutting up fabric to increase my collection of ready-to-go pieces because it makes getting started seem so much less overwhelming.

Otherwise I tend to keep my fabric in the shape and size I found/bought/left it as I'm never quite sure what I will feel like doing the next time I need to play with fabric.

I think you've hit on something important, though - if you prefer working with smaller pieces as I understand from your comment about scrap drawers, I think your idea might be a great one and would give you a fabric collection that will work for you. Good luck! :-)