Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: when I saw this I laughed--but now

Great Idea! I have used chalk or baking soda to remove adhesive residue. It is a little tedious, but there is no chemical smell or stickiness left over.

Blog Entries
    I think this is a great idea too! Along with the salad or spinach containers, I also re-use the plastic containers berries come in for smaller objects. The plastic dividers in candy boxes are also perfect for your jewelry or buttons... there is no limit when you re-cycle.

Good Idea! It is a double win!

They are also good to organize items for sale at a quilt shows sales booth. You can fill the smaller sandwich sized ones with 5 inch squares, the larger ones with coordinated scraps or small quilt kits, etc. All the members should save them and store them for a show.

I do the same thing with either spinach or strawberry containers. I'm a penny pincher and they suit my needs perfectly. My kids say if they weren't around to keep me in check I'd probably be a real hoarder. Just being poor when I was young makes me tend to find uses for things a lot of people throw away.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Blog Entries
    OMG, how many of those have I thrown away? No more!!
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    I use them too. I have a lot of yo yos made so I glue them over the sticker. It really pretties them up. My cat loves fresh spinach leaves (inside cat craves greens) so he's happy too.
    Got fabric?

I am doing this too. I really like how you can see what's inside. It helps me remember what I have. I have several of these containers filled now, full of 1 to 3 or so inch strips ( some are wonky shaped- so much the better) and another couple with selvage strips. Since buying "Quilts from the Selvage Edge," whenever I am trimming off selvage, I leave some of the pretty part on as well, cutting the strip wider. How wide depends on how much of the fabric I have, what I need it for, or at whim. They're good for ribbons, trim, etc. And I'm going to keep on eating "Spring Mix" or spinach salads. Hope they don't change their containers!

Are they very durable? I like how you can see so clearly thru them, but was wondering how they hold up?
    Country 1

I have been using them for a while and they are holding up great.Not as sturdy as a bin you would buy-but still free.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    Great idea! Who'd have thought that quilting could be an incentive to eat healthy.

Blog Entries
    Those containers are great to put by the machine when you are throwing threads fabrics scraps away. Easy to empty at end of day as they don't stick as fabric holders do
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have quite a stack and after I sort my scraps by color, I like that they STACK neatly and I can see everything. Still have a bunch empty, so that means I need to use them for something else I need to sort in my quilting area.

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!

Cool

Slap a white sticker over the "offending" label and call it done! No scrubbing required AND more time to quilt!
    ~melrose~
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Melrose R View Post
    Slap a white sticker over the "offending" label and call it done! No scrubbing required AND more time to quilt!
    I'm thinking of the stickers that are used as name tags at meetings, first day of school, etc. I had some leftover from my teaching days. They make great labels.

Other containers I use in the sewing room (although they aren't see-through) are the little plastic boxes that personal wipes come in. I label them and stack.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I used to watch the Bonnie Hunt talk show and her lovely mom had this hoard of saved cottage cheese and margarine tubs, just like mine. Now Iíll have to add clear plastic containers to the stash. Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    And I just threw 2 away and smashed them, to boot. Doggone!

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    yes they stack nice and you can see in them.I just wish the stickers cleaned off easy-but I can live with it since it is free storage
    I keep goo gone under my kitchen sink for removing those stubborn labels

Blog Entries
    love the idea for the containers and also thanks for suggesting to use them to cut into stencils and applique shapes

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    I use some that way but I primarily use them to cut into stencils or applique shapes. I can trace them hundreds of times.
    MaryKatherine
    ♥ Craftybear♥ Google Goddess Surfing Queen of Links ♥
    http://quiltingforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blogspot.com/

i just started saving those too...great idea..! my mom threw one away and i freaked out...LOL..she looked at me like i was crazy.

anyone know how to easily get the labels off? i soak & soak & still some residue......? (yes..im a bit ocd)

Banned
    I see a new use for costco containers, thank you!

I guess a very good idea if you REALLY like spinach. I'll stick with buying clear shoe boxes. Not a spinach fan

GooGone takes off all the glue residue. You have to get as much of the paper off as you can first.

Use "goo gone." No more icky!
    Ruth Krug

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast