Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Your Fave Way to Organize >

Your Fave Way to Organize

Your Fave Way to Organize

Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Default Your Fave Way to Organize

I still have a relatively small stash since I'm recently back into the quilting/sewing scene. What I own at the moment would fill just one dresser and a half, perhaps. That said, I love to buy fabric.

I am wondering about how to make the room work better, particularly storage. What are some of your favorite ways to store what you have in such a way that you can find it? I can't handle being able to see everything out in the open, but I do like some on display. I am only creative when surfaces are clear and
I have a place for everything.

Please chiime in with some of your favorite organizers, containers, closet systems, etc. I love to organize things.
-
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

I have a nice shelved cupboard with doors that I keep my fabric stash in. My stash is all on the mini bolts and I sometimes just like to open the doors and admire my beauties. I have a big section of peg board behind my machine table that I keep all my rulers, scissors, rotary cutters etc. on.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 AM

I have shelving in closets. One closet holds big pieces for backings, flannels, fleece and batting. The other closet holds colors and strips. I use clear plastic bins so I can easily see which bin to pull when I need something. Everything is neatly folded in the color bins so I can pick through when I'm looking for a particular value etc.. My strips are broken down into 3 1/2, 2 1/2, 2 and 1 1/2. Those are broken down into colored and neutrals. I've got separate bins for bindings, HST, squares, whatever else is leftover from completed projects.

The bins stack neatly and when I open the closet there is order. We each work best in different environments. I prefer everything in it's place so that other than the project I'm currently working on, there is order, neatness and beauty in my sewing space.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 AM

A bookcase and ruler folding work great for me. I didn't understand what difference ruler folding made until I tried it.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I don't have closets big enough to put my stash in. Only because I have a small house. My stash is on shelving and in clear containers.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I keep my stash on comic boards and stored in cabinets. Love my peg board for hanging rulers and tools.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 AM

I have had my stash in boxes and totes on shelves and stacked wherever I could find a spot, I also did the mini bolts. I now have a bookcase dedicated to just my fabric and ruler folded. I like it the best since I can see everything and select what I want and it stays nice and neat.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM

All of my 'stuff' has a place. Stuff isn't always in its place, so my favorite way to organize is to sit like Queen Bee and direct hubby and granddaughter to put the 'stuff' back in its place . Seriously though, their help is invaluable and after a big project, they are always willing to help put the 'stuff' away .
Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM

We bought 6 unfinished kitchen cabinets and stacked them3 high. They are obviously not finished ,yet (nor is the floor)
I think we're just going to go all the way to the ceiling with oak
It's in a spot of the house where 'something' was needed - what could be better than fabric storage?
Attached Thumbnails fabric-cupboard.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM

RugosaB, your six sets of upper cabinets stacked three high is one of the very best options for storage, IMHO. It will provide accessibility without lifting heavy totes, protection against light and dust damage, neatness for storage, and flexibility for storage methods. Congrats! In fact, I wish that I had done this a dozen years ago when we were remodeling our home. I hadn't been sewing that much at the time and didn't even consider having my own sewing area. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb on my part....