Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Electric motor cart for quilt shows $$$$$$$$!!!!! >

Electric motor cart for quilt shows $$$$$$$$!!!!!

Electric motor cart for quilt shows $$$$$$$$!!!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM

Default Electric motor cart for quilt shows $$$$$$$$!!!!!

I was planning to go to the AQS quilt show in Grand Rapids in August. Just checked their brochure and was astounded at the prices to get into the various classes. But then I read where the motorized carts have to be arranged for in advance (no refunds), the price is $45 a day PLUS a $50 delivery fee. That's $95 a day just for the cart! On top of the class fees, the costs per day would be astronomical (for me anyway). Do you have any ideas for getting around the show without having to spend $95? I do need assistance; all-day walking is out of the question.
Kathy
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 AM

Can you borrow someone's "hoveraround" or something like that and not rent?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 AM

I bet the convention center or hotel has wheelchairs to loan (or rent for $5 per day or so) if you're going with a friend who can help you out if you need it. Otherwise....my dad had a really great lightweight walker that worked like a regular walker but then it had a seat in the middle where he could sit and rest when he needed it. Bet you could rent one of those at home and take it with you for when you need it.... OR---perhaps try calling a church near the show and explain what you need. Maybe they or a member would have what you need and would be delighted to loan it to an out-of-town guest.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 AM

Call your local medical supply company (the one that sells wheelchairs, canes, etc.). Sometimes they have scooters or electric wheelchairs to rent. Don't know if they are cheaper than what the show gets, but worth the call.

One other thought...if you need a scooter for medical reasons, why not have your doc order one? Medicare and most insurance companies cover them, so you will own one outright and not have to worry about renting, etc. Just a thought...
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM

check the fine print the show here requires that you use one of theirs even if you bring your own...think that is the case at some amusement parks also.....friend says it is about insurance and contract that the providing company has with the venue.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I've been searching around google and found some information on these motor scooters. Doesn't seem likely that I could rent one here and take it to the show. I'd have to lift it up into the SUV and even the separate parts are heavy. AND then I'd have to assemble/disassemble it. I'm going to check out those little walker/seat things tho. That might be the answer. The AQS website doesn't mention not allowing your own scooters, that I could find, anyway. You all are a great group! Thanks again for your ideas.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM

AQS is handicap friendly! You are allowed to bring your own wheelchairs, scooters, or walkers. You do not have to rent theirs. Airlines will put yours on the plane for you too! You just have to let them know in advance when you purchase your ticket. Good luck, also check out garage sales, craigslist, goodwill for these items!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 PM

If your Handycapted Its true about Medicre coveing for the Electric Chairs and I'm not just talk'in for a temp one a permament one! and if you don't need it til Augs If you START now You should get one! Just call or go to your DR or to a Medical suply store and ask about it!! Or you see the adds on tv for the Hoveround try that!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:20 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Oh my. Honey, no other way for me..so agree with wheel chair option for you. Save your body, to enjoy the huge event. If they have to deliver it, then how would you transport ? Think of that before spending these rentals too. I had to be transported by bus. Good luck !
Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 AM

You can find good, used, in good shape, walkers with the seat at the thrift stores. I saw one the other day that was selling for 29$. Good luck.

There are also some electric chairs if you can find one to fit.
delma