Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
grand rapids michigan, where to go? >

grand rapids michigan, where to go?

grand rapids michigan, where to go?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Tomorrow morning I am flying into GR where my best friend will be picking me up, she lives in Kentwood.
Mary helped me through my fathers death in February, the next week she left Florida to go back to Michigan to live with her elderly and ill parents. Three days after arriving her father fell, fractured his pelvis, died on St Patty's day. Now three days ago her mother has been placed under Hospice care in the nursing home where she has lived for the last 4 years.
So, since she is working part time as a nurse as well(and please do not think me morbid) are the any nice shops within an hours drive or some nice gardens,etc for me to go see. If not , thats OK but please hold us both up in your prayers since this is the third parent to loose in 3 short months, Cindy
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}} So sorry for all your losses

Can't help with any suggestions, but maybe ask at the hospice. They have great people that work there and are very understanding about needing a break , change of scenery and may have some good suggestions
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I am so sorry (((HUGS)))
You are not being morbid... everyone needs a break, and if going to some LQS helps you, then that is what you should do!!! :D:D:D
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 AM

Please remember that you can't take care of someone if you don't take care of yourself!!! {{{HUGS}}}
Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 AM

Thank you ladies, you are the best. Though never seeing your faces,friends are easy to recognize...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:31 AM

I was born and raised in the GR area! There are a couple of quilt shops in Grand Rapids, a JoAnns, a Hancocks and a fabric store called Fields (there are 3 Fields stores in GR). I've been to the Fields on Lake Michigan Dr. many times and it's great. Don't miss the sale room way in the back! The Fabric Place is in Kentwood, Hancocks on 29th st, and one on Plainfield, and Fields on Plainfield, 44th St. and Lake Michigan Dr. JoAnns is on 28th st. There's also a quilt shop on Plainfield called Smith Owen, and Lakeshore Sewing on E. Beltline. Have fun!!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 AM

Yes Smith Owen is a good one, LOTS of fabric to look at .they also have a small clearance rack. I am pretty sure that one of the Fileds stores is just down the road from there. right now Fields has patterns(mccalls etc) 2for$3 and lots of other sales going on. Don't remember how far Byron Center was but three is a nice small shop there called the wooden spool. Have Fun!!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by amma
(((HUGS))) I am so sorry (((HUGS)))
You are not being morbid... everyone needs a break, and if going to some LQS helps you, then that is what you should do!!! :D:D:D
I agree, ((Hugs)). So sorry for you and your friend's losses. You both need a break.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I was born and raised in the GR area! There are a couple of quilt shops in Grand Rapids, a JoAnns, a Hancocks and a fabric store called Fields (there are 3 Fields stores in GR). I've been to the Fields on Lake Michigan Dr. many times and it's great. Don't miss the sale room way in the back! The Fabric Place is in Kentwood, Hancocks on 29th st, and one on Plainfield, and Fields on Plainfield, 44th St. and Lake Michigan Dr. JoAnns is on 28th st. There's also a quilt shop on Plainfield called Smith Owen, and Lakeshore Sewing on E. Beltline. Have fun!!
born and raised in GR also, Mom lived not far from Smith-Owens and it was my favorite place to go when I visited. She loved going with me although she didn't quilt, loved the fabric
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 AM

As for gardens, try meijer gardens. Holland has tulip time starting may 1, the tulips are in full bloom and gorgeous!
Hope these may take your mind off the sad events that bring your here and give a bit of peace and tranquility.