Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New York fabric stores

New York fabric stores

I'm taking my first trip to New York next week with my mother, who will be signing in Mozart's Requiem at Carnegie Hall. While she rehearses I'll have some free time... Fabric shop recommendations anyone? I also sew apparel so doesn't have to just be quilting fabric shops. We're staying near Carnegie. Thanks!
    Shannon

Looks like there are two of them. The third one appears to be closed.
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...New+York%2C+NY
    Manhattan is very expensive real esate so it doesn't surprise me on the lack of a quilt store. Have Fun!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

for apparel i think you will be in luck but not so much for quilting. in one of my yahoo groups i belong to the moderator's daughter does a lot of costmes for musicals and ice skating outfits and they are always going into the garment district but she says not much for quilting and i do believe there is lot of stores that just have trims galor.........enjoy your trip

I understand that The City Quilter is a must stop for anyone going to NY. I have never been there but it's definitely on my bucket list.

Give my regards to Herald Square & Macy's across the way! Have fun, wish I could be there for her performance---good show!
    hugs,
    dj

I live in NYC. If you have time for coffee, let me know. My Bee meets on Wed. We love guests!City Quilter is a great store. People from all over the world shop there. In the Garment district, you'll find all kinds of fabric. A lot of people go to Mood, made famous by Project Runway on tv. There is also Purl's in Soho (downtown) with very beautiful wool felt and the always-pricey Liberty of London.

Singing at Carnegie Hall is a wonderful experience. You will be near a wonderful bakery too! Let me know if I can help with any other details! Dotty
    Dotty in NYC

Pins and Needles is quite small. They have a lot of sewing classes for children. I would not recommend a special trip.
    You can visit Gotham Quilts by appointment. They mainly sell online. But they are very nice and are in the Garment District (around west 37th Street). Dotty
    Dotty in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
    I'm taking my first trip to New York next week with my mother, who will be signing in Mozart's Requiem at Carnegie Hall. While she rehearses I'll have some free time... Fabric shop recommendations anyone? I also sew apparel so doesn't have to just be quilting fabric shops. We're staying near Carnegie. Thanks!
    Yes, The City Quilter!!

I was in NY recently and The City Quilter was on my list of places to visit but I ran out of time. I was so disappointed as I had checked it out online and I could have spent a lot of time (and money) there. Maybe next time......

Research the garment district! There are rows and rows of fabric stores...I'm in heaven when I go there!

I am originally from NY and on a trip back several years ago, I went to City Quilter. It is pretty nice - lots of city themes and a variety of fabrics. Fun shop. Enjoy your trip.

Let me add, there are no bargains at City Quilter. The fabric is of the highest quality, many over $10 a yard.
    However, you will get what you pay for. Recently got some fabric from Joann's of very poor quality. Same high prices in many stores I have visited, and online. My favorite shop, to date, is in San Diego.
    Dotty in NYC

How exciting for both of you! I am so jealous I look like Kermit!

Definitely check out the garment district. Tons of fabric stores, notions, etc. I have never been to the City Quilter, but I did order online and was very pleased. It is pricey, but I was looking for NYC themed fabric.

Wish I was a quilter when I lived in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
    I live in NYC. If you have time for coffee, let me know. My Bee meets on Wed. We love guests!City Quilter is a great store. People from all over the world shop there. In the Garment district, you'll find all kinds of fabric. A lot of people go to Mood, made famous by Project Runway on tv. There is also Purl's in Soho (downtown) with very beautiful wool felt and the always-pricey Liberty of London.

Singing at Carnegie Hall is a wonderful experience. You will be near a wonderful bakery too! Let me know if I can help with any other details! Dotty
    Hi Dotty,

Thanks for the invite - it ended up being a crazy busy week. Sorry I didn't reach out and get to meet you in person! So I missed you in Seattle last August (or was it the year before ?), then blew it again in February in NY. Next time I will do better. To be fair, I was in California when you were in Seattle... Loved the garment district but ended up with limited time there.... Picked up some apparel fabric, saw three Broadway shows, mom's performance at Carnegie, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Museums, Top of the Rock, night out of Cuban food and music, lots of walking, subways & cabs. All in 7 days... exhausting but wonderful. Oh, and it was bloody freezing!
    Shannon

[QUOTE=dotcomdtcm;7459453]I live in NYC. If you have time for coffee, let me know. My Bee meets on Wed. We love guests!City Quilter is a great store. People from all over the world shop there. In the Garment district, you'll find all kinds of fabric. A lot of people go to Mood, made famous by Project Runway on tv. There is also Purl's in Soho (downtown) with very beautiful wool felt and the always

Now that is a GREAT offer. The City Quilter is also on my bucket list!!!!