Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat >

NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat

NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat

Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM

ATTN: PAPER PIECING STUDENTS!

Here is what you will need to bring - which is very little, I am happy to say.

a few pins, but not huge ones
a size 90 needle for your machine
a finger pressing thingy - nice but not mandatory
F8's, FQ's, scraps of fabric

I am assuming there will be a rotary cutter/matt and an iron already there!

The patterns I am bringing are for 6" finished blocks. They are an assortment of flowers, hearts, houses, trees, baskets, etc. etc. You might want to have a solid/near solid piece of fabric backgrounds. i.e. sky, grass, white, off white. (Especially if you plan to make more than one block and want them to coordinate)

The quilt in the pix below is the results from a PP class I taught at my hospital...a pink & white memorial for a co-worker who died from cancer. I think it turned out well considering 95% of the students had never made a quilt! (It was a bit challenging at times, to say the least. LOL) Most of the patterns I will be bringing are the same as in this quilt. BTW, we raffled off the quilt, made $1,000 and donated the $$ to Amer.Cancer Society.

Questions??

pins, sz 90 needle, wooden thingy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198699[/ATTACH]

"Cathy's Quilt"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198700[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198693.jpe   attachment-198694.jpe   attachment-198695.jpe  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM

I'm in! Someone gave me some reds! :) It looks like a fun new talent!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
I'm in! Someone gave me some reds! :) It looks like a fun new talent!
Reds are good! LOLOLOLOL
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Trish B. and Pat H. will be there the whole time. She may have told you already. This all sounds like so much fun hope we get some quilting done with all that food there sounds like were going for a pig out instead of a quilting retreat. Thanks for organizing it all.. Your doing great.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Trish B. and Pat H. will be there the whole time. She may have told you already. This all sounds like so much fun hope we get some quilting done with all that food there sounds like were going for a pig out instead of a quilting retreat. Thanks for organizing it all.. Your doing great.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks Pat, I didn't have you down for positive dates! I'm hoping not to eat too much! I'm still working on getting off the extra that I gained during vacation in March!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 PM

Here is the latest update!

Update on food that was volunteered:
Condiments and a pound cake and coffee (Cbridges), a turkey,gravy etc (Feathers) a chicken lasagna and Costco muffins (quilttiludrop), red wine (Winewoman), birthday cake for 2Doods & Feathers and snacking vegetables and fruit (Karen), veggie/dip tray and salad (2Doods), fruit, ice cream, Hershey's syrup and a variety of teas (SewCornie), dessert (mistiliz), Ham, Roastbeef and Turkey for lunch along with some lettuce, tomatoes,bread, etc (TrishB), baked beans Patty Jo, and potato salad, a sack of potatoes and a couple dozen eggs in case anyone wants that for breakfasts(Candlequilter), soup, crackers, waffle mix, syrup (Lilrain). If I've missed something (or added) something please let me know!

Feathers has a bingo game and a word game. Bring 3 fat quarters (purchased or cut it yourself).

Quiltingnonie is going to show us PP. Here is what you will need to bring - which is very little, I am happy to say.

a few pins, but not huge ones
a size 90 needle for your machine
a finger pressing thingy - nice but not mandatory
F8's, FQ's, scraps of fabric

I am assuming there will be a rotary cutter/matt and an iron already there!

The patterns I am bringing are for 6" finished blocks. They are an assortment of flowers, hearts, houses, trees, baskets, etc. etc. You might want to have a solid/near solid piece of fabric backgrounds. i.e. sky, grass, white, off white. (Especially if you plan to make more than one block and want them to coordinate)

The rental has a fitted sheet on the bed but only as a mattress cover. You will need bedding and towels. Kitchen towels, etc are taken care of!

I'm bringing a travel ironing board, iron, cutting mat and rotary, etc. Two weeks to go!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Here is a quilt that I made especially to bring with me for the retreat (just the right size for a twin). I wanted to use something that would be warm and comfy so I use minkie on the back - never again.

It is very soft and warm but not what I had hoped for.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Attached Thumbnails attachment-199967.jpe   attachment-199968.jpe   attachment-199969.jpe  
Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Sherryl, that's really pretty! I've never worked with Minkie before . . . curious what the problems are . . . other than the $$cost$$.

I'm planning to bring my plaid houses to work on - started as the BOM, but has diverged into its own unique neighborhood. I'm going to cut out as many blocks as I can ahead of time and piece them there. Also may cut out some FWSQ blocks to bring and maybe a wool project. I'm debating about bringing Boom blocks to show-and-tell. Don't have any other show-and-tell to bring along.

What projects are each of you bringing to work on?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Sherryl, that's really pretty! I've never worked with Minkie before . . . curious what the problems are . . . other than the $$cost$$.

I'm planning to bring my plaid houses to work on - started as the BOM, but has diverged into its own unique neighborhood. I'm going to cut out as many blocks as I can ahead of time and piece them there. Also may cut out some FWSQ blocks to bring and maybe a wool project. I'm debating about bringing Boom blocks to show-and-tell. Don't have any other show-and-tell to bring along.

What projects are each of you bringing to work on?
The minkie is very stretchy and when I quilted it on the longarm I had to secure it and in doing so it stretched it, then when I took it off the whole thing was drawn up and the edges didn't want to lay flat without major adjusting.

I am going to bring my Candlequilter Star paper piecing pattern, plus I am bringing a Jenny Beyers pattern that I hope to have all the pieces cut ahead of time. Plus I might bring the Bali Double wedding ring star paper piecing project that I am working on. Plus I might bring one of the IRR III centers that I am working on.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter