OREGON/WASHINGTON FALL RETREAT

Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Originally Posted by valsma
I have a table with folding legs if we need it. It isn't big but one or even two machines will fit on it. Just depends on how much room you need to work. As for food, I could maybe smoke a pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches. I was also thinking of bringing a huckleberry crumb cake for snacking or just because I can. Will decide for sure when I find out more about what everyone is bringing.
Smoked pork butt and huckleberry crumb cake...you are after my heart BIG TIME! I can't wait.
Went huckleberry picking this weekend to check on the progress of the berrys, found some ripe, mostly green. Did manage to get about a quart. Three weeks huckleberry camp.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM

Will thurs thru sun be enough time with all this wonderful food?

Cindy-Check is coming your way today.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 AM

I have a table with folding legs if we need it. It isn't big but one or even two machines will fit on it. Just depends on how much room you need to work. As for food, I could maybe smoke a pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches. I was also thinking of bringing a huckleberry crumb cake for snacking or just because I can. Will decide for sure when I find out more about what everyone is bringing.
Smoked pork butt and huckleberry crumb cake...you are after my heart BIG TIME! I can't wait.
Went huckleberry picking this weekend to check on the progress of the berrys, found some ripe, mostly green. Did manage to get about a quart. Three weeks huckleberry camp.
For years we went huckleberry picking on Mt. Adams and Hood. It was always so much fun and I LOVE the berries. Unfortunately, both of my berry picking buddies have expired from cancers and my kids and grandkids/nephews and neices have grown up and are interested in EATING the huckleberries but they no longer want to PICK them so I haven't been in years. My DH HATES Huckleberries after eating them morning noon and night for a week when he was in Boy Scouts summer camp out on Mt. Hood . He got sick and to this day he's sure it was the berry diet they had for all that time. He won't eat them and has picked them with me but HATES it so I don't ask him anymore. Have a great time picking. Just remember, once the bottom of your pickers pail is covered, the pail fills up fast. It's getting the bottom covered that takes an eternity. :lol:
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wine Woman
Will thurs thru sun be enough time with all this wonderful food?

Cindy-Check is coming your way today.

We always have so much food but that's better than not having enough! Part of the fun is tasting what everyone brought! Last year someone brought these little chocolates wrapped in blue foil....never had them before but have to say, I liked them ALOT! :lol:
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM

For years we went huckleberry picking on Mt. Adams and Hood. It was always so much fun and I LOVE the berries. Unfortunately, both of my berry picking buddies have expired from cancers and my kids and grandkids/nephews and neices have grown up and are interested in EATING the huckleberries but they no longer want to PICK them so I haven't been in years. My DH HATES Huckleberries after eating them morning noon and night for a week when he was in Boy Scouts summer camp out on Mt. Hood . He got sick and to this day he's sure it was the berry diet they had for all that time. He won't eat them and has picked them with me but HATES it so I don't ask him anymore. Have a great time picking. Just remember, once the bottom of your pickers pail is covered, the pail fills up fast. It's getting the bottom covered that takes an eternity. :lol:
I'm sorry you don't get to go picking anymore. A group of lady friends and I have gone every year for the last 4 years. We go up Thursday and pick all weekend, then head home Sunday after a little more picking. :-D
It is a no husband, no kids, no pets weekend. We have a great time. I guess you could call it our Huckleberry retreat. What part of the PNW do you live in? :-)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

I went out and picked blackberry's today.We have a big patch on our property but never seem to get enough picked for the year.I don't think I have ever had huckleberry's.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM

[quote=cbridges22]I went out and picked blackberry's today.We have a big patch on our property but never seem to get enough picked for the year.[quote]

You! I have a big patch out back and another one on the property next to us. Mine are not ripe yet. I keep watching....
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Ours aren't ripe yet either, but when they come on, OH BOY!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 AM

My neighbor has a big patch of black berries in their back yard but the rewards are coming over the fence. My husband had had them on his cereal for two days now with the freshest he could get! :)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM

These two spots showed up in my email this morning! For future retreats! A bit more expensive but wow the space!

http://www.vrbo.com/333591?cid=E_aut..._fp2_text_LDES

http://www.vrbo.com/313929?cid=B_ret...p_160x600_LT1_