Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   charity quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/charity-quilts-t123170.html)

betbet 05-15-2011 03:25 AM

i have finally got a good response to my plan to make quilts for charity. a number of people hae donated fabric and we have a new senior center to work in. now i need your help to decide the best place for our quilts.would you be so kind to send in your suggestions for the best place to send our completed quilts. we will be making baby quilts,lap quilts,quilted shawls and what ever comes up. thank you so much. you have always helped,now i need you again. betbet

MTS 05-15-2011 04:01 AM

Local police - they're first responders to house fires, domestic violence and other traumatic situation for children. Pulling a blankie or a stuffed animal out of the trunk to comfort a screaming kid is helpful. NO TIED QUILTS for infants and toddlers.

Senior centers - wheelchair lap quilts.

NICU units - you have to check to see what the requirements are. While they might not use on the baby, they do place them over the incubators to brighten up the place.

That's a start.

Best of luck to you and your group. Your work will be greatly appreciated by many.

Lindsey 05-15-2011 04:03 AM

quilts for kids and project linus. Quilts of valor for those red,white,blues...

cjomomma 05-15-2011 04:58 AM

Cancer quilts for those who are taking chemo. From my understanding they get really cold during the treatments.

mic-pa 05-15-2011 05:44 AM

If you know someone in the area undergoing Chemo treatments this is a good place to give them, also you local hospital in the maternity ward, your welfare office could give them to displaced kids going into foster care. So many places if you ask around. Contact local churches for families in need or fire victums

oz-quilter 05-15-2011 05:51 AM

In Australia we have 'Blankets of Love'. For Parents of stillborn or babies that die soon after birth they are given a small quilt to wrap their babies in. There is a supply kept at the hospital to be given out.

ckcowl 05-15-2011 09:17 AM

check locally first- our area hospital accepts quilts for the pediatric floors, the fire department/emt's accept quilts for families who's homes have burned; the women's resource center- for the shelters- and for the people getting out of the shelters-into their own places-starting out with nothing.
you can do alot right in your own back yard before venturing out to the big national organizations.

betbet 05-15-2011 10:54 AM

thank you for all the suggestions

ShowMama 05-16-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Cancer quilts for those who are taking chemo. From my understanding they get really cold during the treatments.

Also dialysis centers. My mother-in-law is on dialysis and she says she just freezes unless she has a couple of quilts or throws on. I think the blood being circulated cools to lower than body temp, and then makes her feel cold when it gets pumped back in.

MaryAnnMc 05-16-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

I can tell you from experience that chemo treatment rooms are FREEZING. There are sometimes a dozen patients in one room, and many will have no immune systems left. The cold helps keep viruses from spreading.

Not only that, a bright quilt made by a perfect stranger says "someone cares" in a really tangible way. I would have loved to have had one.