Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Fabric in Hamilton, Ontario? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/fabric-hamilton-ontario-t59128.html)

jackkip 08-12-2010 03:59 PM

Have a quick question. I have am going to visit my DD"s future MIL. She wants to take me to hamilton to go fabric shopping. She is not a quilter or sewer, but had heard this was the place to find fabric. It will be about a 5 hour drive. My question is, Is it worth the drive? Are there alot of places to look at? thanks for the info,
Jackie

MamaBear61 08-13-2010 02:52 AM

Do you know the name of the place she is talking about? The only store that I can think of here in Ontario would be Len's Mills but I am not sure there is one in Hamilton, I will have to check. I only live about 1 1/2 from there so I am interested to hear if there is something I don't know, I might have to make a road trip (lol)

jackkip 08-13-2010 07:36 AM

well, All I know is My friend, Pauline, found out about this place from a friend of a friend. Pauline told me that it was blocks and blocks of fabric stores. You could find fabrics from all over the world. Since Pauline is not a sewer, I am just not sure what to think.

I guess worst case scenarios, I get to see a part of the world taht I have seen. Best case, I see a cool part of the world and come away with come really good fabric. :)

MamaBear61 08-13-2010 08:23 AM

Sounds interesting. I now there is a fabric/garment district in Toronto, but I didn't know there was one it Hamilton. If you do go to it be sure to let me know what you think and what you find. As I said I am only about 75-75kms (50 miles) from there so I just might have to go sometime.

quilter on the eastern edge 08-13-2010 09:48 AM

There are quite a few fabric shops on Ottawa Street in hamilton. I don't know if there are any that are devoted to quilting fabrics but I'm sure you will have fun trying to find them. :wink:

kylenstevesmom 08-26-2010 05:32 PM

It is Ottawa Street in Hamilton and it is devoted pretty much to fabric stores.

They have revamped the area a lot in the last few years, and there are some antique shops now.

I know that when I was sewing garments this was the place to go.

I just haven't been to that area for awhile since I've become a quilter!

Have fun!

jackkip 08-26-2010 05:38 PM

I am leaving in a few weeks. I can't wait to see the area. Plus living in Texas, I can't wait to feel some cooler temps. I will let you know what all I find when I get home.

kylenstevesmom 08-28-2010 03:33 PM

well..... don't think it is any cooler up here.... cause today's high was in the lower 90's without the humidity!!!!

Have fun anyways.

jackkip 08-28-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by kylenstevesmom
well..... don't think it is any cooler up here.... cause today's high was in the lower 90's without the humidity!!!!

Have fun anyways.

I was so looking forward to the cooler temps. Oh well it will be nice to see that part of the world...hot or cold

:D