Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Fun!! Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/fun-mid-atlantic-quilt-festival-t274152.html)

Sheddah 01-05-2016 08:35 AM

Fun!! Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival

Who is planning to attend the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festval in Hampden, Virginia (2/24/16-2/28/16)? Have you been before? What workshops, lectures etc. are you participating in? Any interest in a trying/buying a new machine? Any hotel reccomendations?

My husband and I are making the trip. I am registered for two all-day workshops. I'm also interested in taking a look and trying out the new Pfaff Passport 3.0 for a class/travel machine. Not sure where we're staying yet. The one time I did go was a day trip, so had no need for a hotel. I really enjoyed it last time and am looking forward to next month.

What about you?

ManiacQuilter2 01-05-2016 08:55 AM

Sounds like fun. Better get your hotel reservation soon. Large quilts shows really fill up the best hotels the quickest.

NJ Quilter 01-05-2016 09:34 AM

Will have to look at the calendar and see what DH's schedule might be then. Would not mind making a mini vacation and torturing DH in the process (although he's excellent about going to these things). Thanks for the reminder.

AZ Jane 01-06-2016 06:39 AM

Awwww I'm originally from Hampton!! Gosh haven't been home in ages. LOL last time, we landed in Norfolk and wanted to drive to the old neighborhood. Been gone so long, I didn't even recognize it. Take lots of pictures!!

romanojg 01-06-2016 06:45 AM

I'm going, each and every day if possible. On Saturday I take my 9yr old grandson, he's been going since he was little and loves to take pictures of all the quilts and has finally accepted that little quilts are ok too.

I want to take Susan Gatewoods class applique on the machine. she's a great teacher. local to the area and she explains things very well. Other than that I'm not sure if I'm taking any classes. This year I'm thinking of taking Sunday off so that I can go each and every day. There are lots of hotels in this area so you should be able to find a good one.

LindaR 01-06-2016 06:50 AM

went a few years ago....DS lives in Newport News so that was big draw LOL

berryberry 01-06-2016 07:28 AM

It's an awesome show. Last year it snowed the night before and day of so I missed it. They still had the show and classes although the interstate ramp I would have been using was closed. I don't drive in snow unless I have to. People around here aren't use to. They don't slow down nor leave space and also the roads aren't really designed for it either. The closed interstate ramp is a banked crossover. Glad I hadn't signed up for classes or I would have been mad- no refunds. I was told the parking lot wasn't cleared until after noon. Just my luck I would have fallen. I had friends that went on Saturday and had a great time. Sunday the weather was messy again.
My point- you can't plan on the weather that time of year here. There's a hotel connected to center. I can't remember the name, but I know that one would have been the one to stay in last year to avoid the ice and snow.
The year before they had this cat quilt which I can still remember and haven't seen like since. Wish I had gotten a picture, I can't even describe it.
I'm still planning on going this year and I have been saving for a couple of months. I go on Friday to shop and then I go on Sunday just to look at the quilts. I open and stay until close each day. I always go by Deb Tucker's booth and get a new ruler. I always go by the Fabric Café booth and get the 3 yards and a new pattern for $22. I always have to go by the Sew Batiks booth and buy some new blue and green fat quarters. I normally budget to spend no more than $300 at the booths on new gadgets and fabric. The plan this year is to test drive some of the machines. Perhaps there's a sweet 16 in my future.
One day I hope to get to Ky for the show, until then the Mid Atlantic soothes my soul.

Sheddah 01-23-2016 08:39 AM

I reserved at a hotel about 4-5 blocks away from the center. DH is my chauffeur, and he drives on any weather (from the snow belt). So I'm not worried about weather too much, especially with the current snow storm we are having right now. Usually after 'the big one' we don't get much more.

Can't wait though-- I'm taking a Baby Lock serger class. We'll be making a pieced and quilted tote AND a wallet in 6 hours. The next day I'm in Vikki Pignateli's Improvisation Everyone Can Do. We'll be making a wall hanging with curves and sharp points free-style. Here is a link to her gallery:

http://www.vikkipignatelli.com/gallery.htm

This will be my first 'art quilt' and I'm really excited. I am imagining the new dimension in quilting this will open for me.

Of of course I will be trying out some of the new machines, buying some notions/tools and trying my hand at weaving at one of the exhibits. I might buy a Pfaff Passport 3.0 if the price is right. We'll see...