Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Have you seen one of your quilts...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/have-you-seen-one-your-quilts-t115756.html)

mar32428 04-13-2011 04:43 AM

Have you seen one of your quilts many years later? My son moved back to my area and still had the quilt I made for his first wedding. The quilt lasted. The bride didn't. I made it in the early stages of my learning and was so proud that I finished it. It has been used. The colors are faded to a soft pastel and the edges show wear from lovin' and washin'. He said she got a lot of stuff in the divorce but he refused to give up the quilt. That brought a lump and a few tears.

Rebecca VLQ 04-13-2011 04:51 AM

Yup. I've seen two. One was a memory quilt that I made for my dear friend's mum, out of her sons' clothes. The other was my first queen quilt I did for my bro and his wife. The cornerstones are SOOOOO off, and I quilted it on a standard machine instead of a frame. I thought they were just being kind when they said they loved it, but it's true...they wash, dry, and put right back on the bed. Per them, warm and natural makes quilts the PERFECT temp for sleeping under!

NCquilter 04-13-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Have you seen one of your quilts many years later? My son moved back to my area and still had the quilt I made for his first wedding. The quilt lasted. The bride didn't. I made it in the early stages of my learning and was so proud that I finished it. It has been used. The colors are faded to a soft pastel and the edges show wear from lovin' and washin'. He said she got a lot of stuff in the divorce but he refused to give up the quilt. That brought a lump and a few tears.

Very nice story. Except for the divorce part (unless you didn't like her anyway LOL)

AlwaysQuilting 04-13-2011 05:19 AM

Yes my youngest married DD has my very first "practice" quilt and it's still in one piece! Her kids have dragged it around, they sit on it in the grass, they put it in the car for the kids to wrap over themselves, etc. I don't mind a bit. I made it for fun and to be used and, as long as they don't put it inside the dog's pen, I'm happy.

mommamac 04-13-2011 05:20 AM

I made a brightly colored 'fish' quilt for a newborn.
His Mom showed my a dingy gray rag one day 6 years later & asked if I would make him another one. (didn't do it)

Enchanted Quilter 04-13-2011 05:41 AM

Yes the first quilt I made on my quilting machine 27 yrs later is still in use on my Bro Sil bed . Its worn some but no lose patches (yea) but boy has my binding & points improved since then .

quiltsRfun 04-13-2011 06:31 AM

Yes, the very first quilt I made for my youngest daughter. I had no idea what I was doing, just sewed together scraps. Kind of a crumb quilt. No batting but a terry cloth backing. That was over 30 years ago. On a recent vist I noticed that she still has it neatly folded on a shelf.

Grama Lehr 04-13-2011 06:51 AM

Yes, I have seen one of my quilts, what a delight!! It was worn, faded and tattered!! It had been washed many, many times! I was one of those baby cheater panels, one of my first attempts at making a quilt. I know Terri received all kinds of beautiful store bought quilts at her shower, but baby Trevor liked mine best!

huntannette 04-13-2011 08:02 AM

Made a bright orange quilt for my youngest grandaughter when she was born....it has been washed and re-washed because of her allergies, but she doesn`t go to bed without it...had to replace the binding so it would last a bit longer...making her a new one now...a bug jar one, but a bit worried it won`t hold as well to alll the washings...aw well i`ll make her another one later..lol

Originally Posted by mar32428

chairjogger 04-13-2011 08:06 AM

Sorry to hear of your son's marriage. I must be with pride he wanted the quilt.
Bittersweet story. Now nice you have the chance to see your much loved gift, loved.
:)