Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   I'm in the Florida Keys (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/im-florida-keys-t208714.html)

jswalleye 12-18-2012 10:45 AM

I'm in the Florida Keys

Staying in the Keys for a month and am an avid quilter. I will visit the Seam Shoppe in Key West but was wondering if there are any more interesting places or people to see about quilting! Thanks! (I am sewing in my camper!) Teresa

Beachbaby12 12-19-2012 05:30 AM

In the Florida Keys

Originally Posted by jswalleye (Post 5727564)
Staying in the Keys for a month and am an avid quilter. I will visit the Seam Shoppe in Key West but was wondering if there are any more interesting places or people to see about quilting! Thanks! (I am sewing in my camper!) Teresa

We were in the Keys for one week celebrating our 30th anniverary and had a wonderful time! The Seam Shoppe is the only quilt shop in the Florida Keys - I checked this all out before leaving our home in Central Florida! Do enjoy the sights in the Keys: Dry Tortugas National Park, Key West Lighthouse, Southernmost Point, and walking down Duval Street. There are lots of museums too and history! Have a wonderful time! Make sure you get to see the Key deer as well!

terry leffler 12-19-2012 04:37 PM

When you're on Big Pine looking for the key deer ( seen mostly at dusk -do drive very slowly!) stop at the No Name Pub for pizza & wings!
Also on Big Pine they have a gigantic flea market every Sat & Sun.
Enjoy!
Hugs, Terry

jswalleye 12-19-2012 05:22 PM

Thanks so much. We will go to the flea market this weekend since we spend 3 nights at Bahia Honda State park starting Saturday . We went to Key West today - went to the Seam Shoppe - they have moved across the street and have a nicer brighter store now. Keep suggestions coming!!

Grandma Peg 12-19-2012 05:31 PM

Have fun sewing in your camper.

busygranny 12-20-2012 05:25 PM

Yes, Seam Shoppe only shop in the Keys, but there is also a Ben Franklin right on US 1 Gulf side and they have a nice selection of fabric. I also am in the Keys for the winter and I shop there alot. Not quite as expensive as Seam Shoppe. I don't know if the flea market is open yet on Big Pine. If itr is, not all the dealers are there til the middle of Jan.

jeanharville 12-21-2012 07:54 PM

We will be in the keys for a week starting Jan 12. Is the Ben Franklin in Key West?

busygranny 12-22-2012 06:17 AM

Yes, Ben Franklin is in Key West. Where will you be staying when you are staying? Wea re in Long Key.

jeanharville 12-22-2012 01:39 PM

We'll be spending some time in Key Largo and a couple of days in Key West. I don't know where our reservations are.

DaylilyDawn 12-22-2012 03:32 PM

When my son was stationed down in the Keys a few years ago I was able to go down there and spent 2 full weeks down there with son and family. I got to see the Key deer up close , watched them trying to eat the bananas hanging down from the banana tree. I even got a picture of one trying to take a piece of banana out of my son's hand as he was squatting down under the stairs.