Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   I'm Taking a Quilt Collage Class from Laura Heine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/im-taking-quilt-collage-class-laura-heine-t293773.html)

cashs_mom 01-02-2018 08:06 PM

I'm Taking a Quilt Collage Class from Laura Heine

My quilt guilt had Laura Heine as a speaker tonight. Tomorrow she's giving a class on her fabric collage technique. I'm going to take it and I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't take any classes in a long time. I've always liked the way she works with color and fabric. I'm really looking for ward to it.

Tartan 01-03-2018 03:45 AM

​A nice way to start 2018!

jmoore 01-03-2018 04:14 AM

I’ve been wanting to try collage too...it looks like fun. Don’t forget to show us your project.

suern3 01-03-2018 03:44 PM

Lucky you! I love her work and bought her seahorse pattern on sale from QIAD. Now I'm getting a little nervous about starting on it as I actually know nothing about the collage technique. I am looking on youtube and Pinterest for info. At this point, I've just starting collecting fabrics {small pieces} so I can do that. Please let us know how your class goes.

cashs_mom 01-03-2018 03:54 PM

I'm just back from the class. It was so much fun! I like her technique (even if it was a bit hard for me at first). I think that taking the class and having her there was a huge help. A couple of the things I was struggling with, I don't think I'd have figured out on my own. She's really a good teacher.

She owns a shop in Billings, Montana and was saying that she's going to start a teacher education program for shop owners so they can teach her collage techniques. Nice idea!

KathyJ 01-03-2018 06:11 PM

I'm taking her collage class but not taught by her. Our guild has a lady fm LA coming on Monday, Jan. 8th. I bought the pincushion pattern several months ago as the class was scheduled then but had to be postponed bec the teacher had last minute car trouble.

I have been reading the pattern & am concerned about her "underlay" technique. Never heard of it so am anxious to see what the teacher can help me understand. I'm not in the "advanced group" anyway so anything I can learn is going to be big plus. Look forward to seeing your completed quilt. Glad you enjoyed the class. Kathy

dharen7 01-03-2018 06:14 PM

I have done the pink flamingo the bear and now I am going to do the fox. The bear I did in the puzzle pieces in different batiks. For my oldest daughter whose daughter is Autistic. Really loved doing them.

cashs_mom 01-03-2018 06:32 PM

Kathy - The underlay is just a base fabric to place the motifs on. You don't cover it completely so some will show thru. I didn't Emerson (the dog) and used several different pieces for underlay. It helps define the separate parts of the design.

jmoore 01-04-2018 05:19 AM

Patrice, I’m glad you enjoyed the experience. It will be on my 2018 goals/challenge.

petpainter 01-04-2018 05:59 AM

I'm going to do the giraffe but sketch my own with mother and baby- I have all the fabrics already. I can't wait! She really created a wonderful technique to apply to all kinds of animals and just stuff- cars, people, anything! Lucky you!!