Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Oklahoma Quilters-wanna chat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/oklahoma-quilters-wanna-chat-t50594.html)

betsymjeff 06-22-2010 05:53 AM

I live in Cushing, OK. I would be quilting 24 hours a day if I could. Just love it. I have been quilting about 10 years, I think. Can't really remember when I started, just don't want to quit. lol. I go to the quilt guild in Cushing.

tryitall 06-22-2010 07:05 AM

Hi Ya'll! I'm in Sulphur. I guess I am closer to Duncan than any other place. I went to Duncan to a Bluegrass Festival last year and found a neat little quilt store. I'm looking forward to going back there. I hope to talk to all of you more.....glenna (tryitall)

girardgirl61 06-22-2010 07:20 AM

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, I appreciate them. It is hard being the caretaker somedays, but I just keep going and doing my very best. Kenny always says "when you said for better or worse and in sickness and in health, worse didn't sound to bad did it? Well, it is not to good, but we will get through it" He is ever the optimist, and has amazed all of the drs. He was given 3 wks-3mos in Feb of 07, and is still doing great. He has never been sick from chemo, or the radiation. He is however dizzy to some degree at all times, and has to deal with that. He uses a cane or walker to steady himself. He will have a cyberknife treatment on Friday, to radiate a new tumor on his brain. He has Renal Cell Carcinoma w/mets to the brain.

I have a quilting friend from Skiatook, her name is Dana. I don't think she belongs to the guild though.

Nice to chat with you. Do you work, or are you retired? TTYL

girardgirl61 06-22-2010 07:30 AM

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them. My husband has renal cell carcinoma w/mets to the brain. He will have a CyberKnife treatment on Friday at St. Johns. Also we were told that he has many new tumors coming that they discovered when they did the MRI for the CyberKnife placement. They were not visible on the reg. MRI, but showed up on the Hi-Intensity one. So not good. He is a trooper though and never complains or seems to get discouraged. This will be his 8th tumor to be either XKnifed or CyberKnifed. We don't know how many more times he will able to have this procedure after this one. So, anyway I thought that I would have lots of time to quilt after I retired, but now, although I have the desire, I can't seem to get motivated, or the time. As you know treatment can be a very time consuming process....we have as many as 4 or 5 dr. visits a week at times, and always at least one. He has also had 2 skin cancers removed and MOHS surgery on his lip. That is an awesome procedure, and can hardly tell that he had it done.

quilter53 06-22-2010 07:53 AM

Wow, a lot from Tulsa area. I'm from So. Ok., Ringling. We're about an hour from Duncan, maybe 4 hrs. from Tulsa. I belong to a Quilt Guild. We had our monthly meeting last night. We have a great group of ladies.
I've been quilting for a lot of years but still far from perfect. I just enjoy creating something that someone else will like. My taste is simple and scrappy. Glad to see so many from our great, but hot, state.

hawghugger 06-22-2010 07:53 AM

Glad to hear your hubby is in the positive mode. I can't tell you how much that goes towards healing. Doc always told me, you don't have time to be negitive and you sure don't have the time to be around anyone that's negitive. I agree, 100%. With my Doc's, they never knew what I was going to come up with next. I would write little notes on the parts of the body they would be checking that day. I was always joking and laughing, in between being sick, and I never, never, let the big C get in my way. I have way too much to do, and way too many things I want to do before I throw in the towel.
My first cancer was 8 yrs ago, second, 5 yrs ago and the last one was 3 yrs ago and I am still ticking, just a Timex watch.
I am not retired, but, with my cancers/recurring cancers, I am fully disabled. So, no, I don't work, at least not outside the house. I quilt, quilt, quilt and play on the computer.
Take care and know that you and your hubby are in my prayers. Sandy

Just wanted to add, I did have all the Doc's and nurses sign my bald head on my last day of chemo. Now that was a blast.

Lynnejean 06-22-2010 07:58 AM

i'm not old enough to retire BUT i developed a illness called fibromyalgia 20 yrs ago and have only been able to work on and off for years because of it. My last job helping my husband in his construction business has been over for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are surviving in construction but it only has barely enough work for DH. So I took up quilting to help me stay busy and productive when I feel I can. I have seriously been doing it for about 2 yrs now. I do really like the creative part of it and probably my favorite part would be picking the fabric. I love scrappy quilts and I am working on a teapot scrappy quilt now that I have about 125 different fabrics in.

What are you guys working on now?

hawghugger 06-22-2010 09:11 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of things I am working on. As you can tell I love color and I really like the modern quilts, simple and bold.
These are still needing to be quilted, but, I plan on getting with the quilting part next week.
So, hope you enjoy. Sandy

Color Wheel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88671[/ATTACH]

Pasiley's quilt, she is due next month
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88672[/ATTACH]

My zig zag with Amy Butler fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88673[/ATTACH]

Paisley's rag quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88674[/ATTACH]

Playing with charms HST
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88675[/ATTACH]

Spiked with Color, this one I am hand quilting. Almost finished, just two rolls left.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88676[/ATTACH]

Boston1954 06-22-2010 11:38 AM

Hi, I joined nearly two years ago (July 1). My sister (Oklahoma Suzie) and I lived about 18 miles SW of Fort Smith, AR.

Planning a day trip to Tulsa in the Fall.

tryitall 06-22-2010 12:18 PM

I have a friend that has fibromyalgia. Bless your heart! I jsut finished a pinwheel quilt for my oldest GS and am now working on some pot holders.