Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Paducah, Ky (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/paducah-ky-t226868.html)

scrapnut 07-29-2013 06:55 PM

Paducah, Ky

Hello everyone. My wonderful hubby is taking me to Paducah, Ky in October. I am trying to make my hotel decisions. I am currently torn between The Courtyard or the Comfort Suites on James Sanders Blvd. What is everyone's opinion? I also need guidance regarding which stores that I simply must shop at while I am there. My plan is to touch every piece of fabric I can while I am there. I know I won't be able to bring everything I want home with me, so the least I can do is touch it. :-). We will be traveling from Oklahoma through Springfield, Missouri and onward to Kentucky. Are there any shops/activities that we simply can't pass up along the way? We are stopping at Grizzly's on the way home to purchase a new wood lathe for my Hubby's birthday/Christmas present. Patiently waiting your feedback.

NanaCsews2 07-29-2013 08:22 PM

Have Fun!! We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott West on Technology Drive when we went in May of last year. Clean, friendly, very reasonable, quiet, and very pretty area. Along with Hancocks, try and get to Eleanor Burn's store, of course the Museum, the Murals, enjoy a picnic lunch along the Riverwalk and pig out at Cracker Barrel!

CaroleLee 07-29-2013 11:24 PM

There are only 2 fabric stores in Paducha that I found. The Riverwalk is interesting.

cmierley 07-30-2013 03:11 AM

Hancock for sure and Eleanor Burns Auilt in a Day store. Fabric is $6.00 a yard and they have a back room with $3.00 a yard fabric. Enjoy your stay.

sewbelle52 07-30-2013 03:27 AM

Also, just west of Hancock's is Calico Country. And across from museum in an old house is Quilter's Attic. Carol Brayer Fallert, the quilt artist, has a studio downtown near there too.

Shrink42020 07-30-2013 05:10 AM

If you get to Murray, KY check out the Murray Sewing Center - always good selection of fabrics and usually have tables of $3-$4 fabrics as well!!

GAgal 07-30-2013 05:22 AM

Eat at Lambert's Café (home of the throwed rolls) in SIKESTON, MO. No credit cards accepted there, but delicious food. They constantly walk the tables with their sides and the rolls. You will be so full when you leave!

Springfield, MO has some nice quilt shops.

SewOK 07-30-2013 09:12 AM

Be sure you have an absolutely empty credit card upon entering Hancock's of Paducah and at least almost an entire day. You will be walking into a Wal-Mart size super center quilt store. They not only have almost every line of quilt fabric on the market today, they most often carry the entire line. I didn't know what to look at first but then I soon settled down and shopped, shopped and shopped.

quiltstringz 07-30-2013 09:36 AM

Make sure you do not miss the Museum - It is the best. Each time I have been there I went at least twice.

leaha 07-30-2013 10:03 AM

for sure the quilt museum is a must see! and Handcocks of Paducah is a must shopping day, check out the rements tables, up front to the left as you go in, and the batics are in the back right side. I go in at least twice a month, and to the museum at least one a month. So much to see at both. Carol might not be home, she and new hubby are off on trip. I will not say all I heard as do not know if all is correct, but if it is I wish her all the very best in her new venture! she is a wonderful artist!
There is quilters ally close to the museum. The flood wall, and lots of antique stores in downtown. Have a great visit.