Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Road to California 2019, ? worth the trip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/road-california-2019-worth-trip-t301281.html)

Cheryl7758 12-01-2018 03:20 AM

Road to California 2019, ? worth the trip

I am finally retiring after 20 years of being a "jailhouse" registered nurse. Taking it easy for a while before I decide on further employment or just being a full time grandmother. Anyway, my husband has a business trip the end of January to San Diego - I was thinking about meeting him there and maybe driving up to Ontario, CA for the quilt show (about a 2 hr drive).

Has anyone been, and do you suggest it? It has been several years since I have been to a large quilt show. Can you do it in a day, or should I plan on more than one day?

I don't mind the drive, I actually love to drive, so that is not an issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan 12-01-2018 06:07 AM

I have been to this quilt show twice and loved every minute of it. Quite overwhelming with all of the vendors and quilts to see. I stayed for 3 days in the area and attended the show for most of the 3 days. Just take comfy shoes and a lot of patience as some of the booths were so crowded I couldn't get in. Very enjoyable time. If you go-just enjoy and take a camera for pics of the made quilts on display.

VernaL 12-02-2018 03:30 PM

Road to California

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8169505)
I have been to this quilt show twice and loved every minute of it. Quite overwhelming with all of the vendors and quilts to see. I stayed for 3 days in the area and attended the show for most of the 3 days. Just take comfy shoes and a lot of patience as some of the booths were so crowded I couldn't get in. Very enjoyable time. If you go-just enjoy and take a camera for pics of the made quilts on display.

I live fairly close and have been going for years. I could see most of it in one day if my feet would hold up. It is a very good show. I go to all the vendors first to see what is new, then the show. The show is wonderful too. The vendors are usually crowded no matter which day you go, but you just need a little patience and you can see everything. You Cannot take in your own food and water/drink. Bags are checked. It is worth the 2 hour drive. You will enjoy it. Take your charge card!

luvstoquilt 12-03-2018 06:20 AM

I have never been but enjoy your retirement! Go! I never met a quilt show I didn’t love.

1Nanoo 12-03-2018 06:26 AM

One of the greatest aspects of retirement for me has been the ability to travel to quilt shows when I want to go and to visit Amish communities in several states to see their work and to get tips from the ladies. I worked long and hard for that privilege, and I really enjoy it and find it relaxing.

Cheryl7758 12-03-2018 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the tips, I hope things work out and I get to go.

luvstoquilt 12-03-2018 03:00 PM

Cheryl7758 if you go you must tell us all about it! You will soon wonder how you found time to go to work!

Annaquilts 12-04-2018 04:03 AM

Yes, you'll love it! It is very doable in a day but more enjoyable to take two days. Also it is no fun to drive back and forth in one day after walking the whole day. Stay over night in one of the hotels around the convention center. Park your car there for free and walk to the center. I have gone over ten times and drive from San Diego.

nativetexan 12-04-2018 03:40 PM

wow, i had to look up Anthony, Texas. that is as far away as you can get and still be in Texas! have a great trip when you do go!

stillvnu 12-05-2018 08:20 PM

I have been several times … I go with several of my sisters. Great show … awesome vendors. One day is really not enough if you have trouble walking. Do 2 days and then you can go back to the vendors/demo's you want to see. Have fun!