Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Sew Expo at Puyallup - are you going? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/sew-expo-puyallup-you-going-t273887.html)

Tothill 12-30-2015 10:05 AM

Sew Expo at Puyallup - are you going?

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Who is planning to go to the Sew Expo at Puyallup WA this year? It runs Feb 25-28.

https://www.sewexpo.com/

Although I do not live that far away, I have never been. I decided last night I am going to go this year to celebrate a significant birthday (not until later in the year). The CAD/US exchange rate is not in my favour this year, but I only turn 50 once and decided to treat myself.

I even got a Groupon rate that will save me $30.00 per night on the hotel.

Stitchnripper 12-31-2015 09:18 AM

My grandchildren live in puyallup. Been there many times. If I decide to make the trip will let you know.

SewExtremeSeams 12-31-2015 09:39 AM

Tothill, you will love it!!! It's like walking into live crafting and quilting books that you have ever looked at.

I used to live in the Seattle area and attended the Sewing Expo for many years. Wear comfortable shoes and dress in layers. I often would sit in the main building to take a break where they have tables you can eat at and met wonderful people from all over the western U.S., often from Canada. I would attend all four days and also many of the classes they offer. They did have a shuttle that you could catch that would run to the different buildings. I am sure they still do. Not sure if I will make it this year. Have a great time!!!!

LadyElisabeth 01-01-2016 02:07 PM

I worry about driving in the Winter, so have not attended. Hope to one of these years.

tessagin 01-01-2016 02:18 PM

I live too far!

Cari-in-Oly 01-05-2016 12:11 AM

I'm thinking about it. I want to test drive some long arms.

Cari

SewExtremeSeams 01-10-2016 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth (Post 7420389)
I worry about driving in the Winter, so have not attended. Hope to one of these years.

There should be a group in your area that has hired a bus to the Expo. I know a quilt guild or some group from my area have done it for years.

Tothill 02-12-2016 02:41 PM

The Show is only a couple weeks away now. Has anyone else decided to go?

I will be arriving on Friday late morning and enjoying three days of the show as well as the two evening events.

I am excited to take some classes and check out the shopping. I may try some long arm machines, but definitely will not be buying this year.

I have comfy shoes and am giving Oscar longer walks to prepare for all the time on my feet.

What about food in the area? I am staying in Auburn, but will be in Puyallup Fri, Sat, Sun. I am sure there is some onsite catering, but what would you recommend in town? I will eat just about any type of food, but do not eat fast food and prefer to avoid chains like Denny's. I do like diners like the ones features on shows like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I will not be looking for fine dining, I would rather save the extra $$ to spend on fabric.

quiltingcandy 02-12-2016 11:12 PM

My husband and I were in Fife WA last summer and found several good places in Tacoma - one that is kind of high end - not overly expensive call The Cliff House. We went for lunch and had a great meal. We thought it was reasonable prices - but coming from San Diego most people think we have high prices down here. Another place was Alfred's Cafe, again in Tacoma. I am trying to remember this other place, it was a diner and had the best french fries I have ever had. If I can find the name will post it.

quiltingcandy 02-12-2016 11:43 PM

The name is Brown's Point Diner, not to be confused with the Brown Point Pizza place - I have not been there so cannot say one way or another.
But the Brown's Point Diner is very good and there is a nice market at the opposite end of the strip mall that had a great place for lumpia - loved it! We went to the market a few times to for items we needed while we were in the area.