Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   What's happening with quilt shows? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/whats-happening-quilt-shows-t287212.html)

Jane Quilter 04-01-2017 08:33 PM

2 weeks ago I went to a quit show (with my 5 yr old DGD who borrowed my phone and took a photo of every single quilt because she couldn't decide which she liked best), Very few vendors, but we bought fabric, a tool, a pattern, and a stain glass angel ornament to hang in her window. We bought raffle tickets and had a great time (she is still dreaming she may win that quilt)

patski 04-01-2017 09:13 PM

same here, vendors were selling purses, jewelry and other "stuff""

jmoore 04-02-2017 03:02 AM

I registered for a few classes at MQX next week in Manchester, NH. (Machine Quilters Expo) There are a lot of vendors listed in the MQX program so I hope they have a good turnout. I know it's a lot of work to pack up and schlep all of your tools and fabrics plus the time that goes into setting up the booth.

williesmom 04-02-2017 03:13 AM

I work part time at an LQS. The owner has vendored at a few area shows, but quit doing it. Too much work for too little profit. Personally, I go to quilt shows only for the quilts, not the vendors. I prefer the small shows that don't have vendors at all.

coopah 04-02-2017 04:01 AM

A shop owner told me just the space at shows cost $2,500. That's a lot of money for the space. Then factor in the other costs: transportation, food, lodging, insurance, etc. So this shop owner has found a creative way to get people into her shop which is very smart way to deal with the changing situation.

LindaJ 04-02-2017 04:06 AM

So glad I didn't go. The one in Pittsburgh wasn't that good last year. Like to look at quilts but used to be fun picking

up a new project and some extra fabric. And there was not a lot to choose from. That is a shame it costs them so

much. I really enjoyed the shows years ago.

yel 04-02-2017 04:15 AM

i am here to tell you if you go to Paducha the show has always been good and then there is handcocks,and all the other stuff around town worth the trip

Geri B 04-02-2017 05:45 AM

Why does the cost of the space (ex. $2500.00) have to be so high for vendors? I would imagine the vendors have their own liability insurance.......seems the one making $$$$ is the facility........

Julie R 04-02-2017 06:20 AM

While I haven't been to the Chicago show in a few years, I remember the vendor mall being spectacular! Have fun and let us know :)

Originally Posted by rl2b-Roseanne (Post 7795868)
I'm hoping to go to the Chicago- area Quilt Festival next Saturday. I hope it's not disappointing - I've never been to a big quilt show before. I'll be happy to report!

QuiltingVagabond 04-02-2017 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7796517)
Why does the cost of the space (ex. $2500.00) have to be so high for vendors? I would imagine the vendors have their own liability insurance.......seems the one making $$$$ is the facility........

Or the organizer...